That cool catenaires tune

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

That cool catenaires tune

Post by Moonlight »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering did anyone watch the Proms last Friday? Did you hear that REALLY cool 8) solo piano piece by Elliot Carter called Catenaires? (wow :shock: ,it was certainly not a piece you could hum along to!)

I never new a piano could sound like a synth, it sounded like electro or something. Its the first time I have heard a piece by Carter. Does anyone know of any other weird piano music he has done? or of any other weird stuff like that by anyone else? and can you buy that Catenaires tune on CD?

Sorry I wasnt sure were to put this question...
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Jordan Rudess produces some pieces like that but he tends to focus on improvised emotional music as part of his "Dream Theatre" productions. He is an awesome musician - he just oozes talent.
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Thanks Mark,

I was beginning to think I had imagined hearing that tune, or was the only one who liked it :? ( its defiantly not romantic Chopin kind of stuff ). Thanks for that guys name I will check it out, is there a website were I can find some recordings of his stuff..? I'll try and search myself. I must admit I'm rather green when it comes to modern composers. I'm mostly into the old ones, but who knows all that could change.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Quite simply http://www.jordanrudess.com

You can sample quite alot of his music which gives you a great jist of what to expect should you decide to buy any of his CDs. He does have a good selection.