KAWAI PIANOS

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

MA. CECILIA M. DE MESA
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

KAWAI PIANOS

Post by MA. CECILIA M. DE MESA »

good day to everyone... i know that kawai pianos dont have the tone as bright as the yamaha pianos... my question is... are all kawai pianos built with the same mellow tone? And... are the kawais be categorized as mellow pianos?
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

I would agree with that, I played a U1 and a K3 side-by-side and the Kawai is not so bright. Both were new.

BUT I felt that the Kawai had a heavier touch. I wanted a piano with the silent attachment, and the Kawai Silent was incredibly heavy - after playing it for about a minute my hands ached.

The Silent mechanism does add a little to the touch, but the Yamaha Silent was about the same asa the Kawai without.

I chose the U1 Silent, and I'm happy with my choice.
MA. CECILIA M. DE MESA
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

KAWAI PIANOS

Post by MA. CECILIA M. DE MESA »

many says that a new yamaha piano is used in their music schools for about 6 months - 1 year in order for the action to become soft and easy to play unlike the kawais....so the kawais have a heavier action... but in terms of recording the kawai is best... watch the blindfolded pianist at you tube, he used a kawai upright...listen to the sound it produced... just go to you tube then type super mario theme song... :)
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: KAWAI PIANOS

Post by David B »

MA. CECILIA M. DE MESA wrote:watch the blindfolded pianist at you tube, he used a kawai upright...listen to the sound it produced... just go to you tube then type super mario theme song... :)
Hahahahahahahahahah :roll:
Stuart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Stuart »

I suspect it depends upon the model in terms of the heavier action. Before buying a Kawai RX2 I played that and the Yamaha C2 alongside each other (together with other makes and models) The Kawai RX2 had/has a lighter action than the C2 and a less bright sound.
Exar
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Exar »

What is the opinion on Kawai here?
A store adviced me to buy a new Kawai K2 over a used Yamaha U1/U3.
Is the quality of a new Kawai K2 similar to a 30 year old U1/U3 that is in good condition?
Or will I forever wonder if the Kawai matches one of the said Yamaha's?

I basically have the choice to buy a new Kawai K2 for 3500 Euro or a used Yamaha U3H from 1980 (nr 3206281) for 2250.
The Yamaha is pretty scratched on the lid and on a leg, that's why it's with 40% discount, technically it's in good shape.
But the K2 is shiny new and has a soft-fall lid.

Any advice? Go for the name (Yamaha) and bigger/higher-model piano or for the new (smaller) Kawai? I am an absolute beginner, I can't even play yet and I find it difficult to hear which of the piano's mentioned sounds better (they both sound good to me).
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

In my humble opinion, the Yamaha is nearly 30 years old, and you can afford a new Kawai which will be technically better than a 30 year old Yamaha.

Buy the Kawai, it will last longer and you will be much happier with it. Kawais are beautiful pianos too, just different from Yamaha, but every bit as good.

If your choice was between 2 new pianos I would say go for what you prefer. On this occasion I wouldn't be wowed by the 40% discount. It sounds like this U3 has been through the wars! (perhaps literally - you sure its a 1980 one?!)

I have no connection with either Yamaha or Kawai piano company!
Exar
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Exar »

Thank you very much joseph, this gives me more confidence in the Kawai brand.
Everyone knows Yamaha, I have to explain people Kawai is not a cheap Chinese brand... (ok, they may not be the best-informed people in the world of piano, that's why I ask here).
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

hehe you can always tell them that a certain Mr Kawai helped teach Mr Yamaha how to build pianos way back when.....

both are very good instruments. They have different tone characteristics - the Kawai typically warmer and darker sounding, more mellow whereas the Yamaha are typically a brighter, clearer tone. Go with what you prefer, but given the age difference I would also go with the Kawai.
Exar
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Exar »

Thanks genaa, I decided to buy the new and shiny Kawai K2 before reading your post, but I will remember what to tell people. ;)
I am so happy, I can't wait for it to be delivered!
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Well done and enjoy your new piano, you wont be disappointed i'm sure of it!
Exar
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Exar »

My Kawai K2 was just delivered like an hour ago. 8)
I know it needs to be voiced in 8 weeks, but is it safe to play on it now or do I need to let it 'settle' first? :?:
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

I'm not a technician, but I am sure that the answer is to play it as much as you can. I'm sure that the voicing, etc are done as the piano settles down; and it settles down by being played.

A piano is there to be played and it must be awful avoiding doing so. I'm sure that there's no problem in playing it. I hope you enjoy it!
vernon

Post by vernon »

Play it flat out as much as possible.
Bear in mind that it has probably been played a few times in it's life, in a showroom.
Playing will settle everything down so that when the tech comes in 8 weeks time you will have some meaningful instructions for him
Best wishes
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

Yup! Saddle up and ride on! The piano's tuning will shift as it settles into its new home, but playing it in the meantime will do no harm whatsoever and will give you an important insight into where any regulation of the action might be required for when your first tuning takes place (sticking keys, poor repetition, dull tone on certain notes etc). Any such adjustments required should be covered under that initial visit :)