HEIGHT

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

MA. CECILIA M. DE MESA
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

HEIGHT

Post by MA. CECILIA M. DE MESA »

good day to everyone.... can you please inform me why upright pianos are built on different heights? is it true that taller uprights (e.g. 52in tall) have the best bass sound?
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

Ma, think about it; it's very obvious why pianos come in different heights.

Its because people come in different heights! If you put your flowers and photographs on top of a very small piano, then if the people in your house (or the friends that invite to your house) are very tall, then they must stoop down to smell/see them. This gives rise to a serious risk of back injury, which can have a bad effect on your public liability insurance.

Simmilarly, if your home is inhabited or visited by persons of restricted growth (dwarves), and your piano is very tall, then climbing up onto the keyboard to smell/see is very dangerous too, and could even result in the person toppling over and falling behind the piano. This is why it is better to have the piano at least three feet from the wall, which will make rescue of fallen midgets much easier.
MA. CECILIA M. DE MESA
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

HEIGHT

and dont compare it to people's height or what.... !!! since piano is a musical insrument, i pertain to sound! you mean the smaller the piano the smaller the sound???? :?:
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

More relevant are the ears of the listener.

Did you know that in the end Mozart was totally deaf?

He was dead.
MA. CECILIA M. DE MESA
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

height

yes i know that he is dead... i saw you at his wake.... :!:
sirprize
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: HEIGHT

Post by sirprize »

MA. CECILIA M. DE MESA wrote:you mean the smaller the piano the smaller the sound???? :?:
Yes.............but......

........ some people like a 'smaller' sound......especially in a smaller space

Difficult to know who in here is taking the piss......who is being witty.......and who is being merely patronising/rude......(and all three at the same time)