Twangy note

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

crescendo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Twangy note

Post by crescendo »

One of the notes on my piano has developed a nasty twanging noise.

I hear it when I release the damper pedal or as I let the key back up - only when I do this slowly. It happens just before the felt of the damper makes full contact with the strings.

What could be causing this? Is there anything I can try before calling my tuner?
:(
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Sound like a damper do we keep flowers on the piano or the odd cup of tea liquid my have got in wet the damper felt then it has dried and is now zinging

if it is that the felt may have to be changed

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If you're careful - and lucky - you can scratch the surface of the damper with a screwdriver/knife to soften the felt up again. If it's a good piano, let your tuner/tech do it.
crescendo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by crescendo »

Barrie Heaton wrote:Sound like a damper do we keep flowers on the piano or the odd cup of tea liquid my have got in wet the damper felt then it has dried and is now zinging

if it is that the felt may have to be changed

Barrie,
Indeed not, this is a cherished Steinway B we are talking about!! I'm not going to do any fiddling myself, just wanted to know what could be going on. Thanks folks. I will summon the man with a van..
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

Just yank the damper up and give the felt a good scratch with your finger nail.
That's what the tuner will charge you 450 quid for - when your back is turned.
Brumtuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Brumtuner »

I meant... that's what the tuner will do when your back is turned.

He/she'll prolly be facing you when the payment is requested.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Brumtuner wrote:I meant... that's what the tuner will do when your back is turned.

He/she'll prolly be facing you when the payment is requested.
Ar but the man who came to fix my boiler charged me £75.00 just for kicking it, he said "Sir the kicking is free it's knowing where to kick the boiler cost £75.00"

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

crescendo wrote: Indeed not, this is a cherished Steinway B we are talking about!! I'm not going to do any fiddling myself, just wanted to know what could be going on. Thanks folks. I will summon the man with a van..

Your problem could be the guide bushing is worn so that the damper wire is touching the string
if it the above all will need changing and it will be expensive

Your cleaner could have bent a damper wire again damper wire is touching the string
The tuner can just bend it back

Over time on grands the banging down on the string makes the felt hard you may have reached that point that one if the split wedges has become to hard.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
crescendo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by crescendo »

Hmm, we shall see.

My tuner knows I would bust his fingers if he diddled me and is quite used to me standing over him asking lots of awkward questions! He comes highly recommended by Jeff Shackell who sold me the piano, so there will be no monkey business, and definitely no kicking...
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Steinway B? Excuse me while I roll my tongue up and put it back in my mouth. You lucky, lucky person :cry:
crescendo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by crescendo »

:piano;

'Ere, no dribblin' on it, mate!

:wink:
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Dampers can develop a crust on the surface which can cause a "twang" when the touch the strings, even if nothing has actually been spilled. This usually shows up in old uprights. Take a toothbrush which is no longer employed, cut the (plastic) bristles off short so they have sharp ends and are good and stiff. Use this to clean off the surface crud on the dampers. You can gently heat the handle just below the head and bend it to a more convenient angle. More efficient than fingernails.

Tom Tuner
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Crescendo,

All I can say is you must have been very good indeed in your previous lives to be reincarnated as the owner of a Steinway B :)
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

I remember laughing when I came to a piano and when I pressed the sustain pedal ( loud pedal to all), all the dampers lifted but the felts stayed on the strings :)
sorry madam, but Im not tuning this one!
Damper felt is very soft and can absord moisture in the air if its damp. When drying, the felts gets hard and compresses. Sometimes a sandpaper can help, mostly its a replacment.
crescendo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by crescendo »

Openwood wrote:Crescendo,

All I can say is you must have been very good indeed in your previous lives to be reincarnated as the owner of a Steinway B :)
I'm making up for it now :twisted: Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha!