blues fingering

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

sonata76

blues fingering

Post by sonata76 »

hi does anyone know the fingering for c blues scale on the left hand.i think its 54321 21 but im not sure.thanks sonata
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I've heard of that fingering but have also come across fingering commonly used when approaching chromatic scales, namely the 1-3-1-3,etc. I use a style like that for my left hand and the same for my right hand (with the exception of (sometimes) using the fourth finger on the Bb) but when talking to various musicians, even blues has such a diversity in style depending on the musician and their own creativity.

I would venture to say that either would be acceptable - this goes against my teaching ethos - but as improvisation is so prevalent in blues, I'd go with whatever works best for you! Personally, the "54321 21" fingering you describe doesn't appeal to me.

Try 1-3-1-3-1-3-1 for LH and
1-3-1-3-1-3/4-1 for RH
honeyfunk
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by honeyfunk »

i think whatever feels fine with you... i wouldn't get into fingering too much, you must find a comfortable way of playing and stick with it, fingering is only suggested methods... also, i've found classical fingering is different to jazz fingering... playing a mordent in classical will involve three fingers (2-4-3) whereas in jazz this would be 2-3-2... like i said, it doesnt really matter anyway, both ways produce the same sound...

just for the record, i would play the blues scale, (ascending, left hand) - 5-3-1-3-1-3

you could try... 5-3-1-2-3-4