Yamaha B2 / P114 vs. Wendl & Lung 122

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

norway1

Yamaha B2 / P114 vs. Wendl & Lung 122

Post by norway1 »

Hello!

I'm an amateur that haven't played for years. Now I'm thinking of buying a piano to get started again, just for fun. I like to play classical as well as folk tunes. I wouldn't like my piano to have a too soft sound though. Being an amateur I'm not very picky about my piano, but buyng something I would possibly own for 20 years, I would at least have something of somewhat decent quality. I have briefly checked out the used market in my vicinity (mid-Norway), but it really seems that it has to be a new piano. I've been looking at Yamaha pianos, they seem very nice. However, my budget would only allow a Yamaha B2, P114 or similar. After reading some posts on this forum, I've also checked the price on the Wendl & Lung 122, and it seems that I can get one at the same price as for a Yamaha B2. Other pianos easily available are for instance the Petrof brand.

My dilemma is that I have no chance of actually trying this piano (WL122) because of the distance to the outlet. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, experiences or recommendations from others on this forum.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

God dag, Norway!

Whereabouts are you over there? I worked as an organist near Tynset for a couple of years. Always good to hear from Norge - I'd love to go back and work there again one day; such a beautiful place. Even more so when compared to the God-awful state the UK's in now.

I think the P114 would be a better buy than the B2. I don't have any experience of W&Ls.
norway1

Post by norway1 »

Hi! :)
Thanks for answering. I'm located in Trondheim. You're welcome back to Norway any day. Have ordered a Wendl Lung UNiversal 122 now, let's hope I like it :shock:
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I'm located in Trondheim
Ah, happy memories of buying prawns off the fishing boats!

Enjoy the new piano, it's so exciting when a new one is on the way!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha B2 / P114 vs. Wendl & Lung 122

Post by Barrie Heaton »

norway1 wrote:
My dilemma is that I have no chance of actually trying this piano (WL122) because of the distance to the outlet. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, experiences or recommendations from others on this forum.
Wendl & Lung 122 would be a better buy than the B1 much richer sound in the base the longer keys this will give you more control when playing I would pay a good tech to spend a few hours on the Wendl & Lung to bring the regulating up to speed - this depends on the retail outlet some do prep the some don't most don't

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
superquark
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Wendl and Lung 122

Post by superquark »

I would certainly agree that the Wendl and Lung would be a better bet - having prepared a couple of new ones for the showroom for one of my local shops, I can say that they are well-made and have a strong sound for the money - definitely better than the Yamaha (in my opinion).

Just one thing - both the Wendl and Lungs I worked on had a tremendously strong smell to them - a bit like mothballs (or something similar) - really quite unpleasant - I'm not sure how much you would smell it in the home with the lid closed, but I didn't enjoy it much with my face in the action! Worth thinking about!!

The same dealer also sells the Perzina piano, which seems a very good instrument for the money, and no smell! Or the Weinbach, again very nice sound and great value in my experience.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Agree with you completely apart from your Weinbach comments. I've always found them decidedly shoddy. I've had two grands of that ilk to do this week; one completely horrible and the other has a poor strike line in the treble, distorted casework and an overall dreadful sound.

Why do you rate them?

Wendl & Lung? Mothballs, yes!
superquark
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Weinbach pianos

Post by superquark »

I can't say I've ever worked on a Weinbach grand - only some uprights. I first met them through a local dealer when I regulated 3 prior to display in their showroom, and all were very good as far as I could tell. This was about 3 or 4 years ago - the largest in particular (131 I think) was really nice - very responsive action which could be controlled quite minutely, very powerful bass, and generally a very strong, rounded tone. The build quality was better than average too. I've seen maybe 3 or 4 used examples since, and with one notable exception I've been impressed. The same dealer has a couple in at present, with the 131 going for around £5,000 and it feels and sounds like a 7/8k piano to me.

I will bear your advice about the grands in mind - good to know these things before recommending a piano - I'll speak to the dealer too - he's never had a Weinbach grand in his showroom, maybe there is a reason!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Weinbach pianos

Post by PianoGuy »

superquark wrote:I can't say I've ever worked on a Weinbach grand - only some uprights. I first met them through a local dealer when I regulated 3 prior to display in their showroom, and all were very good as far as I could tell. This was about 3 or 4 years ago - the largest in particular (131 I think) was really nice - very responsive action which could be controlled quite minutely, very powerful bass, and generally a very strong, rounded tone. The build quality was better than average too.
Interesting.

All the recent Weinbach uprights I've dealt with have been the smaller 109cm jobs. Recycled Commie Petrof designs with the drilled-finish frame that gives you vertigo as you look through the strings. Detoa actions and mean little narrow hammers.

Be interested to see a larger one, but the smaller ones have clouded my opinion so far!
2005JG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Wendl and Lung 122

Post by 2005JG »

Hi Norway 1,

I have a Wendl and Lung 122 and have been extremely happy with it. It holds a rich sound, supplying everything I require. I noticed the 122 in a music shop and compared them to similar brands that did not measure up for sound or price. The one I tried sold soon after so had to have one shipped over to the UK. I would recommend the 122 but it is up to your personal preference in finding a piano that makes you happy.

Hope this helps.
norway1

Post by norway1 »

Thanks everyone for answering. Will get my piano in december, and I both hope and think I will be satisfied. Smell?? Never considered a pianos smell... Should get a spray can of deo for the piano as well then...