yamaha ux1

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

ebonyivory
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

yamaha ux1

Post by ebonyivory »

I am very new to piano playing and buying. I have read loads on the internet in an attempt to be prepared. Today i bought a used yamaha ux1, serial 367xxxx? The people were really helpful but i am now worried i might have made a mistake, having read more about yamahas. It is all so confusing. As i have only been learning to play since April, i couldnt do a lot at the showroom but i did like the look and feel of the one i picked. I tried loads, new and used. I understand the ux1 is hand built and would have similar info to yamaha su118c, as ux1 not listed on yamaha site. I hope i havent dropped a clanger. Can you put my mind at rest.

Ta.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

If you like it , and it was a reasonable price then don't worry. As far as I remember, the main improvements of a post-4 million U1 would have been incorporated into a pre-4 million UX1 in any case. I wouldn't have thought you have dropped a clanger.

As for "Hand-built" this is not exactly correct. It is not an SU-series equivalent, but a "hand finished" ameliorated U1. The SU118 is basically a hand built U1 without castors, but the UX1 is better compared to the current YUS1.

Your UX1 will be a grey imported piano, and as such its history will be unknown, and this can affect residual values (this and the fact that thousands are now being imported) but I wouldn't lose sleep over it!
ebonyivory
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

yamaha ux1

Post by ebonyivory »

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I dont think i have been ripped off, i just dont know if i made the right choice. Everyone you ask has different preferences so it is tricky to gauge advice. I paid 3350 for the piano and a lovely new leather stool, 5 years warranty, delivery and tuning when settled. It was said a new one may have been between 6k and 7k. The piano comes tomorrow.

Thanks.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Everyone you ask has different preferences so it is tricky to gauge advice.
Tell me about it! You can be sure that whatever you get someone will throw their hands up in horror that you didn't get a post-Cold War Chucklebutty & Sons ZY56YPDQ made by friendly dolphins using only the finest platinum.

PianoGuy knows his stuff and it sounds to me like you've got yourself a perfectly good piano for a good price plus a stool and warranty.

The important thing is that YOU tried the available alternatives and chose the one you liked the best. That's the best recommendation you can get.
Pheonix
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Pheonix »

A Chucklebutty & Sons ZY56YPDQ, damn I could have gotten one of those only last week...if only I had known :lol:

To the OP, I hope you are pleased with your Piano, at the end of the day it all boils down to what you are happy with and it seems you did ok price wise and got a nice new stool in the bargain...

Happy days...

Cheers

Pheonix
ebonyivory
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by ebonyivory »

I am looking forward to the arrival. I am learning on a Bord (tiny piano) which is out of tune, some keys stick, some dont play and it was saved from a builders skip about three years ago. It has started me off but i can now tell its out of tune when i come back from lessons and practice. Bye Bord, hello Yamaha! With any luck it will bring some magic with it and i will learn quicker.
ebonyivory
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by ebonyivory »

The ux1 is here. I love it. I think its beautiful. Sounds sooooo much better than the Bord and has a practice pedal (cotton wool can come out of ears now). I look forward to being able to play something remotely impressive!!! Thanks for reading/replying.