Glenn Gould's Steinway

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Glenn Gould's Steinway

Post by Openwood »

His piano is described as 'CD318' but looking at a historical list of Steinway model numbers the prefix 'CD' doesn't appear. Anyone know what all that's about?
WinstonChurchill
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by WinstonChurchill »

Hmm, I'd be interested to know the answer to this as well. Maybe some other catalogue number that Steinway uses for the pianos they make available to their artists?

On the other hand, if it's the serial number you're after, I'd suggest a nonchalant stroll through the National Library of Canada's lobby...I'm sure if you nip deftly enough behind the velvet rope, the reception staff will be too slow to stop you before you've lifted the lid! Or you could try just asking them nicely (less fun, I'm sure).

One of the bios must have info on this.

How's the Glenn Gould mission going, by the way?
fumbler
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by fumbler »

Hi,

A CD Steinway is a Model D Steinway that was retained by Steinway's Concert Division for use by signed-up artists and others. As far as I can glean the CD's were selected for their better qualities and obviously maintained to a high standard, including a technician to chaperone them when they were out at work. CD318 was built in New York in 1943 and shipped to Eaton's in Toronto in 1945, and they shipped it to and fro for concerts and recordings.

Gould was using CD174 at this time (built in 1928) and this was used for the first Goldberg Variations, but it was damaged in 1957 and was never the same again - to Gould. He found CD318 in 1960, and used it for virtually all of his concerts and recordings for the next twenty years.

CD318 was reserved for Gould's exclusive use 'towards the end of his career', which implies that other artistes had the use of this piano prior to this time, as they must have had from 1945 to 1960. Gould could then ask for the touch and tone to be modifed to his particular, and perhaps peculiar, taste.

When CBS bought Steinway in 1972 they ended the practice of lending pianos to a few select artists, so Gould bought CD318 for 5900USD in Feb 1973. Perhaps he couldn't bear to be parted from his faithful friend, as by then it had been damaged and repaired extensively and no longer - to Gould - produced its original translucent tone. Nor was Steinway so accommodating or their products so dominant. Gould tried German Steinways and Bechsteins and - after a recommendation from Bill Evans - a Yamaha, which he said had 'the best action in the world'. In 1981 he bought a Yamaha CF concert grand (built in 1975) and used this for the remainder of his career, including the second Goldberg.

Rgds.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Thanks to Mr. Churchill and Fumbler. I've recently got myself recordings of Ashkenazy, Hewitt and Schiff all playing Bach and whilst they are all much more 'disciplined' than Gould, when I'm listening purely for pleasure I still find myself reaching for the old Toronto Hummer. Dunno why exactly - just love that raw, edgy, unpredictable sound. And let's face it, he'd be good value at your fantasy dinner party (not that he'd turn up). Who would you sit him next to? Hieronymous Bosch, I reckon...

Fumbler; man, that is one FULL answer! Many thanks for that - the mystery is well and truly solved!
WinstonChurchill
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Yeah, I'm pretty impressed with that answer too! Now here's what I'd really like to know (..if fumbler has a little more spare time!): where are they now?

The one in the National Library I have played (however briefly and furtively!); the one in Rideau Hall I have seen -- the one from his St Claire West apartment, I believe?; but what happened to the Chickering? Is that the one he had up at the cottage? Were there others? What happened to them? Am I right in thinking that the CBC has one as well?

Hmm.. more disciplined, or just more orthodox? I would hesitate to think that Mr Gould ever flew by the seat of his pants. He wasn't keen on flying by any means, actually...
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Apparently Condoleeza Rice has a Chickering in her apartment. Maybe she 'liberated' it from the oppression of Glenn Gould's house. In which case the insides are probably a flaming heap of charred wood and twisted metal. :evil:
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

The Yamaha is displayed in the foyer of a concert hall somewhere in Canada - can't recall where but it was easily located via the internet.
WinstonChurchill
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Ah, right you are. Roy Thompson Hall in Toronto. This website -- http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/ ... RTU0003055 -- makes it sound as though the piano was acquired for performances, and not just for decoration! I wonder if that's the case.