U1/U100

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

dazed
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

U1/U100

Post by dazed »

I've been looking for a piano for a while and just want to say thanks for the information on this website which I have found to be down-to-earth and invaluable. I've pretty much decided on a U1 that is currently available in Coach House Pianos, Swansea. Serial# 5466721 import and looks immaculate. I have to admit that before coming to this site I was thinking of going via a 'discounter' but with Coach House Pianos 20 mins drive away that seems particularly silly in hindsight.

It's actually badged as a "U100" - is that significant?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Serial# 5466721 c1996
Depending on the price and what sort of guarantee they are giving it should be a good buy - its always better to buy local if you can, but that is not always as practical for the pocket

Disregard the U100 if you like the piano and the price is OK then go for it

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Coach House have a good reputation.

Do you mean "U10 0Bl"? No real difference except that the top opens in one piece rather than folding in half.

The era of your piano's manufacture represents the best of the vintages of the U1 IMO. It also looks great compared to the uglier 'slow fall' models.

I'm sure they'll give you a warranty, so I'd say go for it!
dazed
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by dazed »

Hi Guys,

Thanks. The price we're at is GBP2850, including a very nice adjustable stool, initial prep as required, delivery, first tuning and a secondary prep after 6 months or so, 1 yr guarantee. It was originally marked up much more than that but they are having a Jan sale! Given the serial# and their reputation/service, it seems OK to me...

PGuy: It's definitely "U100" and there is not a "U1" embossed in (stuck on?) the metalwork - but there was not in a newish YUS1 next to it either.

Thanks once again for this forum...
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The price is about right for down south, I would of expected at lest 3 year ~ Gra most dealers are offering 3 to 5 but offering a second service now that different and nice to see I would go for it

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
helmllwyn
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by helmllwyn »

Hi, I bought my piano from Coach House last year and would whole-heartedly recommend them (especially Jerry). Nothing was too much trouble for these guys (and I am a difficult customer believe me!). Very pleased with the preparation of my piano and the after sales care. . plus the price was great too. . . what more can I say, Don't hesitate!
best of Luck, Elizabeth from North Wales
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

dazed wrote:
PGuy: It's definitely "U100" and there is not a "U1" embossed in (stuck on?) the metalwork - but there was not in a newish YUS1 next to it either.

Thanks once again for this forum...
It's too early to have the stick-on digits, they're from 6 mil onwards.
Sounds OK value, nice of them to give you a 6-monthly tweak too.

I remember where I've previously heard lyrical waxings about Coach House too now! ;)

As Barrie has implied, the warranty is a bit short, but the 6-month service makes up for that. You're unlikely to find any nasties appear if the first 12 months is trouble free anyway.

Go for it!
dazed
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by dazed »

Thanks for the further comments. They have a new P116 coming in in the next few days so I may wait until then to make the final decision (they will ring if sombody else wants the U1) - I've never seen a P116.

Elizabeth - I met Jerry today - nice guy and great showrooms - I've lived here 10 years and driven past countless times on the way to Tesco - but never considered popping in for a look! I like their view on upgrading - giving you full price paid of the old piano.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

dazed wrote:Thanks for the further comments. They have a new P116 coming in in the next few days so I may wait until then to make the final decision (they will ring if sombody else wants the U1) - I've never seen a P116.
The P116 will be a disappointment compared to a U1. Only worth considering if you're pushed for space or it's really cheap. The U1 isn't the world's best seller for nothing!
dazed wrote: I like their view on upgrading - giving you full price paid of the old piano.
I noticed the other day that a few dealers are doing this now:
http://www.pianoforte.co.uk/ for one. Keeps their client base intact I'd have thought, which is no bad thing for the dealer.

PS:

Tesco is evil.
dazed
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by dazed »

The piano is to live in my office/study. It's 13' square with thick solid oak block flooring and wall-to-wall pine bookshelves/desks. I can't help feeling that it's going to be *loud* and was wondering if a smaller piano would help...

Edited to remove insane rambling.
Last edited by dazed on 24 Jan 2007, 15:13, edited 4 times in total.
dazed
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by dazed »

PianoGuy wrote: The P116 will be a disappointment compared to a U1. Only worth considering if you're pushed for space or it's really cheap. The U1 isn't the world's best seller for nothing!
You were right - I tried it (P114m in fact) but bought the U1. Many thanks once again for all the helpful independent advice that is to be found on these forums. Along with Elizabeth I can heartily recommend Coach House Pianos, Swansea - essentially they will do whatever it takes to keep you happy after the sale, including swapping pianos and voicing until you are happy etc.

CJ
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Always nice to hear of satisfaction!

:wink:

Enjoy your U1 !

PGx
helmllwyn
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by helmllwyn »

Congratulations CJ ! May you have many years of pleasure from your U1, and remember ,you can always upgrade to a Steinway in the future! :wink:
Elizabeth
dazed
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by dazed »

Arrived today...

pikky

Great to feel a real action again...

PS: Can I keep it shiny with ordinary furnitire polish or does one go silicone free etc...? Got to keep it nice so no probs upgrading to the Steinway... :-)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

dazed wrote: PS: Can I keep it shiny with ordinary furnitire polish or does one go silicone free etc...? Got to keep it nice so no probs upgrading to the Steinway... :-)

A BIG no no

Just a micro fibber anti static duster if you wish to keep the look. Jam butty
marks come off with a soft damp cloth then buff with the micro fibber anti
static duster

Enjoy the new piano and be Environmentally Friendly To Your Neighbour HAVE YOUR PIANO TUNED

:piano;

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
dazed
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by dazed »

Barrie Heaton wrote:Just a micro fibber anti static duster if you wish to keep the look.
OK, thanks...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Antistatic ... B00006IVV8
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Nice price till you opt for 10 £45.00 P+P :shock:

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
dazed
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by dazed »

I think I'll try these guys: http://www.microfibreshop.com

My celeste pedal works fine when pushed fully down but when locked left it rises about 2mm which is just enough for it to stop working. Is there an easy adjustment somewhere (I can't see one) or shall I call the supplier... I've currently jury rigged it with an elastic band inside the casework. Slightly longer fibre would work too... A 2mm washer wedged onto the pedal did not work (always some play). (1997 U1).
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The piano is under Graa taking off the bottom Door and altering the pedal could void your Garra so I would get the shop in But..............

Take off the bottom door and you will see a white plastic block in the middle just above the celeste pedal you will see that both rods go it that universal jont just alter the it Hold one rod and turn the box one turn should be all you need

Its a simple mechanism you will see how it works

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
dazed
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by dazed »

Barrie, many thanks, I understand...