Challen Piano by Royal Appointment

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

figartsl wrote: Is there anyway to find out the history of this piano? Or who originally purchased it?
Thanks!!!!

Sorry No......

There is only one manufacture that I know who keeps the sort of information and that is Bluthner and if the piano was acquired in Germany before 1946 all records were lost in the war. However, Bluthners UK still have all their records dating back to 18…... Can’t remember the date. They are setting up a tracing service in the UK

Barrie,
Last edited by Barrie Heaton on 09 Jan 2004, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Bill Kibby

Challen

Post by Bill Kibby »

I don't quite know what Bluthner's got to do with it Barrie, it's a Challen! The Royal Appointment is not for that particular individual piano, it was awarded to the makers, and I believe in this instance it was the King of Spain. The number suggests 1932. Press www below, then press Archives. Datemarks will also be useful to you, and I can quote for printing a booklet on the Challen firm.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Challen

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Bill Kibby wrote:I don't quite know what Bluthner's got to do with it Barrie,
Nothing….. I was just replying to the second para that manufactures don’t keep end of sale records with the exception of Bluthners and Early Broadwood that were sold from the London. However, if the piano was acquired from a shop in the sticks then in Broadwood case the info your are likely to get is the shop who sold the piano not the person who it was sold to - 50.00 pounds is a lot to pay just to be told Joe Blogs & Sons was the shop that the piano was sold from and you know that because there was a sticker on the piano.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page