Nightmare Exam Experiences

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Nightmare Exam Experiences

Post by markymark »

Quite alot of people have had these at some point. I thought it might be interesting to share some exam or performance nightmares for kicks! :D
Last edited by markymark on 15 Aug 2008, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

I remember doing my Grade 7 ear tests. I was taking the exam in a church hall very close to the town centre. He started to play a tune that I would in turn have to clap back, and then sing back. He started to play the first time and an ambulance with a siren going roared past the hall. The examiner continued to play and then waited for me to sing it back. Obviously that was absurd as the only thing I heard was an ambulance, which I explained to him. He repeated the piece again and then a fleet of police cars roared past, sirens going. He did the same as before and continued to play, waiting at the end for me to copy. As I did before, I had to explain that I couldn't hear because of the police cars.

He sighed and then said, "You really need to concentrate! This is the last time!" :roll:
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

I just remember the fearsome elderly lady who always acted as the Steward in the public centre. She spoke about "The Examiner" in such hushed, reverential tones that she really gave the impression that he had descended from Heaven for the day, rather than popping down the A40 from London.

Once inside the exam room, the atmosphere was fine. The examiners, mostly elderly male organists, were pleasant and usually gave me good marks.

Thankfully things have progressed in the decades since, but it took some years before I realised that examiners prefer to be treated as ordinary humans.
sparkley
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sparkley »

My cousin was doing one of his saxophone grades and was so nervous that he didn't breathe properly whilst playing. He kept blowing but not breathing enough until eventually he was almost hyperventilating and then fainted! Luckily his accompanist rescued the sax and he was allowed to go outside and have a break and then come back in later.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Took my first ever piano exam, aged 7. Mrs Palmer had told me to go in, say good morning and smile at the examiner. I did so. 'Shut the door!' she snarled. Excellent start. Then I saw the piano....a GRAND!! Heaved myself up on the stool, standing on a pedal to do so, and of course the whole action shunted to the right. Terrified, I looked at the examiner, who didn't seem to have noticed that I'd Broken The Piano. And because I was looking at the Bitch Queen From Hell, I didn't see the action move back. Spent the whole exam in agonies of terror about having Broken The Piano, and even when the results arrived I was convinced there would be a bill tucked in with them for the repair of the piano.
yourforte
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Nightmare exam experiences

Post by yourforte »

One of my adult pupils told me she'd got into such a fluster during her exam that, when she'd finished the whole horrible experience, she was so desperate to get out that she didn't think about the way she'd come in and walked directly through a door into the broom cupboard instead of leaving by the exit.
Regard music as a precious gift. See me at www.yourforte.net. Elaine