Mothproofing an 1890s Bluthner upright

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

nickthedentist

Mothproofing an 1890s Bluthner upright

Post by nickthedentist »

I have been given the chance to have my parents' Bluthner upright, which dates from the 1890s. It was the piano I learned on, and has great sentimental value to me, so I really would like to accept, especially as they don't want anything for it.

So far, it's in good order inside and out, and plays well enough considering that it's nearly 120 years old, but I am worried that if I accept this kind offer, its playing days might be numbered because my house has (or certainly had) a fairly severe moth problem. Woolen jumpers get holes, carpets in undisturbed corners get severely nibbled and so on.

At the moment, it's safe at my parents' house, but they want it out of the way ASAP.

My question is: Could I effectively moth proof the Bluthner myself, or would it be kinder to sell it and stick with my digital piano?

I am technically pretty competant, and have removed (and successfully replaced!) the keys and action on several occasions to deal with minor problems (e.g. sticky keys because of slight keylead corrosion).

Thanks.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mothproofing an 1890s Bluthner upright

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Go to BQ they do there own in 2 types, a block one and one in a 1 meter strip of paper. If you get the paper one, put one on the inside of the top door and one on the Bottom door.

You can also buy sprays to spray on felts and cloths However, that's fine for the keys felts and cloths and hammers rest, but I would not recommend it on the hammers or dampers

Moths can do a lot of damage in a piano and we had a lot of moths last year so if they have left eggs they need to be got rid off. If you have got an infestation then you may need help see the rentokil site They also do a paper one as well

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
nickthedentist

Post by nickthedentist »

Thank you very much for your expert advice, Barrie.

How often would you recommend changing the paper strips?

And is spraying anything on the hammers/dampers definitely not to be recommended, even in moderation?

Many thanks,

Nick.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

nickthedentist wrote:Thank you very much for your expert advice, Barrie.

How often would you recommend changing the paper strips?

And is spraying anything on the hammers/dampers definitely not to be recommended, even in moderation?

Many thanks,

Nick.

The paper ones need to be change every 6 months

spraying anything on the dampers will make the felt go hard and they will zing when they damp. As to the hammers you could put some on so long it is not on the nose of the hammer. However, you must leave a note on the action to advise any tuners who may paper the hammers that a toxic chemical as been added to the felt

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
longbow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by longbow »

Heckschers are currently stocking "Red Cedar Wood" Balls as Natural Moth Repellent.
vernon

Post by vernon »

The best antidote to moths is playing the piano.Forget the Apocalypse

The little buggers don't like being vibrated.Something I can accord with
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
NikkiB

Post by NikkiB »

Very sorry to hear about your moth damage problems, but there here are some steps to help irradicate the source of the problem:

Carpet Moths:
1. CLEAN - Move furniture away from edges of the carpet and thoroughly vacuum the carpet (both sides if possible) also paying particular attention to skirting boards and crevices
2. KILL - Spray the carpet deep into the pile and on the underside if possible to kill any eggs and / or larvae - also consider foggers for severe infestations; producing an insecticide smoke that pests cannot avoid
3. MONITOR - Place moth traps close to affected areas to monitor for adult moths and to break the breeding cycle
4. REFRESH - Vacuum deep into edges regularly, keep moth traps current and replace every 3 to 6 months plus consider respraying regularly – please remember, with warmer houses carpet moth damage and infestations are now a year-round problem.

Clothing Moths:
1. REMOVE - Remove your clothes from the affected wardrobe, drawers or cupboards and vacuum really thoroughly paying attention to edges, cracks and crevices. Vacuum carpets and skirting boards in the affected room
2. CLEAN - Clean all clothes that may be affected and consider spraying your woollen clothes with clothes protector sprays to deter moths
3. KILL - Spray the affected storage unit to kill any eggs and / or larvae
4. DETER - Use either fast-acting moth repellents or killer deterrents, cedar wood or anti-moth natural sachets, depending on your preference, to stop moths returning. For expensive garments we suggest considering storage solutions
5. MONITOR and PREVENT - Place moth traps close to affected areas to monitor for adult moths and to break the breeding cycle. Keep deterrents current and replace every 3 to 6 months. Moth prevention is better than cure.

Once you have dealt with the source of the problem, you should have no concerns about bringing your wonderful old piano into your home. Good luck!