coating yamaha high gloss piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

dani64

coating yamaha high gloss piano

Post by dani64 »

Does anyone here have any idea how thick the coating is from a high gloss piano (20 years old). I want to polish it by hand but i am afraid off goining through the coating because this will be the fifth time. When I bought the piano a few years ago they polished it with a machine. This leaved uncountable swirl marks. At home I got advice to polish it with cotton cloths, tried this and the piano got scratched more and more. I tried it a second time but the tiny scratches build op. Later a technician tried to polish it and said to me he can't get a better result. He did not understand the problem of the scratches and polishes it quick and was ready within two hours. he polished my piano with no direct light on it so he could not see the scratches. The polish paste which was used was in my opinion to harsh and now I will try to polish it with polish paste from mequairs, polish that is used for cars. My question is if this is possible? I know a car has a thick layer which can be polished many, many.... times. I am afraid of going through the coating. Does anyone now more about the coating of a 20 year old yamaha handmade piano.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: coating yamaha high gloss piano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

0.5 to 1.5mm depending on the part polished

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
dani64

Post by dani64 »

Is that much? The piano is polished a few times so I think it is now less then 0.5 - 1.5 mm.
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Focus more on playing the piano
Less on polishing it
:)
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

dani64 wrote:Is that much? The piano is polished a few times so I think it is now less then 0.5 - 1.5 mm.
most parts were not sprayed like a car They uses a curtain coat it like a water fall of polyester. Modern processes are less wasteful.

But if you have taken it back 5 times you will be on thin polish in parts

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page