Bosendorfer 130CL vintage 1920s model

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Cascade
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Bosendorfer 130CL vintage 1920s model

Post by Cascade »

Hi. Im a new poster on here and general piano enthusiast.

So my question is has anyone had any experience with this model in particular as there dont seem to be many around? (is that with good reason?!?). Anything positive? The recent models are at the high end of the market but how do the older ones compare?

I have a 1920s model which has a nice mellow tone and the action certainly has a quality feel even if slightly lacking that 'precise' modern touch. Are they highly valued/ on a par with Steinway? I have played quite a few older Steinway uprights of around the same era and some can sound/ play very nice indeed and command prices around the 3-5k mark but not sure if the old 130CLs are considered in the same league? Opinions good and bad appreciated...

Thanks...
vernon

Re: Bosendorfer 130CL vintage 1920s model

Post by vernon »

one in Piano Auctions 15/9/11 around £1500 if that means anything.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Cascade
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Cascade »

Thanks. I had a look. The 130CL is actually an upright and i believe the one in the auction is a grand. Seems a bit suspect at that price anyway! Surely worth more than the guide price if its half decent. Maybe it has one of those 'unforgiving' viennese actions. Otherwise there are some tasty looking pianos at that upcoming auction. Always worth a nose around... :D
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

The thing with any piano of that age is the condition. The Bosendorfer upright is a beautiful piano, but I'm not sure how much they sell for on the second hand market. For instance, a Steinway in good original condition from the 1920s could sell for 2-4k, restrung and reconditioned it could sell for 6-8k and fully rebuilt with a new plank and possibly new board and action you could be pushing the 18k mark. Of course, at that price you're talking about a new piano, basically, in the old case.

I guess it might be the same for Bosendorfers, although they'll probably sell for less - even though they are a similar price new, nothing really holds its value like a Steinway - at least from what I have observed.

I hope you don't need to sell your Bosendorfer though, because its nice to have such an interesting piano.
Cascade
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Cascade »

Well the only problem is having bought it recently it was such a big old thing (the depth that is) that the movers couldnt get it past the porch door. Its currently sitting in storage which is a bit criminal really until i can work out what to do with it. May look to get the door frame widened somehow (its all uPVC though). Access at the back is restricted too. Even the old Steinway uprights are deep like this...upto 70cm! But yes it would be a shame not to be able to hold onto and enjoy its unique tone, and possibly do some restoration on it. Will just have to be happy with my Yamaha U1 for now which is a great piano all the same...
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Phone Piano Logistics and ask for Julian they maybe able to help you,did the mover put the piano on its gable-end ?.
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

You can get the keyboard taken off which should enable youto get through the door. Ive done this once or twice with player pianos. It takes a lot of time and you need someone who knows what they are doing but it is possible even if the cheeks are glued on as well as screwed in place.
Cascade
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Cascade »

The keyboard can come off?!? Well i didnt know that. Could be an option. Thought the wood was all one piece. Not sure which end is the gable end. Maybe on its side you mean? So then perhaps it could be angled in? Not sure really. Even at an angle its still got to go through the front door (!). The porch frame is literally one cm short which is why the piano wont go through when upright. Hopefully i can get it widened somehow....