Bernhard Steiner Information & Help

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

icebreaker

Bernhard Steiner Information & Help

Post by icebreaker »

Hi all ,
Im not sure if i am in the correwct section but i have been handed a Bernhard steiner Upright piano and have not got a clue what to do with it as i do not play .

I cant seem to find any information out about this upright and maybe somebody on here may be able to help me ??

Im looking for some general information as well as a rough price and where to sell it as i do not have the room to store it !

Thanks Dearly

Ben
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Bernhard Steiner Information & Help

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Please upload some photos of the outside and inside of your piano so we can help further.
Thanks
Mark
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Ben,

If you dont want the hassle of the piano & you know nothing about them.... then just stick it on Ebay.... start at £1 no reserve, and take a couple of photos.

There are references to Steiner in the book, but info is vague. They had affiliation with a company called DIETMANN back in the 1950's and connections in USA and S. Africa, but this may not be connected to your piano. This is a UK forum, so if you live abroad, info will be limited. If the piano is faulty and notes not working/ badly out of tune etc.... I wouldn't be concerned about its age/ history/ mechanism & string type (which we need photos).... so just advertise it locally, or stick it in an auction.... then you have no come back.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
icebreaker

Post by icebreaker »

icebreaker

Post by icebreaker »

Ihope these photos help thanks
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Thanks for the photos.
The serial number #34155 suggests the year c.1974
(Numbers taken from Dietmann who were affiliated with Steiner)

Its a standard console piano: overstrung/ under-damped/ bridle tape mechanism.

Dont fetch a huge amount & showing pock-marked cast frame suggesting a budget priced piano. Again, dont know prices abroad.

Should tune nice & maybe some toning of the hammers. Sometimes though some re-pinning/ recentering is needed and key spacing may need adjustment. Not sure of origin of this particular piano, but looks European/ USSR similar types.
AA Piano Tuners UK

MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

The photos are very small.
If it's all in healthy condition then I will throw these estimates in the ring. I've erred on the cheap side so as not to get your hopes up too much.

ebay £1 no reserve might fetch £150. Or it might fetch £46.58
Sell to a piano shop for £50 - £200
Sell to a friend of neighbour for £300 - £500
If sold in a posh piano shop £900 - £1300
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
icebreaker

Post by icebreaker »

I would be happy just getting the space back in my living room . In you professional opinion what would you do ? I don't want to list it on eBay , do you think I could find a buyer on here or maybe a local indipendant buyer ?
As I said something is better than nothing plus the space back
Thanks chaps for your help
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Where in the country are you?
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Ben

You have not said where you live/ county etc? I think this is an important aspect of selling something because 'buying & selling' trends & prices are different from one town to another. We also regrettably cannot "think" for you.... you need to pick the phone book up (start with Yellow Pages).... and maybe start with a few piano shops. Depending on the distance - a shop may ask you to send some photos first.

Your piano is a "low end of the market"product - the style is somewhat old-fashioned now, so I wouldn't build your hopes up. If you sell it to a shop, they will remove it for you free of charge,,,, loads of space in a breath! but be expected to be offered a low price. If you sell it privately, you will need to pay for advertising.... and choose suitable wording (preferably with a small photo - lid always up, never down).... and include a picky of the action - thats good. There is also gumtree - try them. Forget what you paid for it or what value you "think" it is...... most people nowadays are going for black polyester finishes.... pianos like Kawai & Yamaha, and will pay reasonable prices.... the 1970's style piano you have with angular legs/ sloping front may appeal to someone.... so here is a start:-

BERNHARD STEINER UPRIGHT PIANO
SERIAL NUMBER xxxxxx YEAR: 1974
OVERSTRUNG & UNDERDAMPED MODERN ACTION
LIGHT 'SATIN' OAK FINISH (maybe adjust the finish: satin/ polished/ poly/ )
TUNED AND SERVICED REGULARLY ? (leave that for you to decide)
PIANO STOOL INCLUDED??
PLEASING WARM TONE
EXCELLENT CONDITION
INCLUDE LOCAL DELIVERY ***
PRICE???? (keep it reasonable & dont be greedy)/ look in papers/ internet/ebay for ideas

Areas marked ? above - may need removing. If someone views & plays your piano, best to have it tuned.... costs around £50. and may sell better. If it is badly out of tune & regulation, potential customers may think there is something wrong with it!! Saying "it just needs tuning" .... doesnt always work.

OR: Offer to pay the cost of a tuning after removal.

If you choose to include delivery & 'free tuning', you stand a better chance of it selling.... so mark your price up about another £50 - £80 The above is just a suggestion & prices are estimated. Go on Mark's recommendations and stay within the prices marked. Remember that your piano is nothing flash (sorry), and the name - to the average punter will be unheard of....

But sometimes...... a quick & easy removal/ no hassle/ cash in hand.... ring a piano dealer or piano shop (not a general sheet music store)......

Hope that helps....
AA Piano Tuners UK