Yamaha GA1 - second hand but not in tune

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Yamaha GA1 - second hand but not in tune

Post by quinie »

There's a Yamaha GA1 that I am interested in.

It's actually for sale on e-bay and it is situated in Wiltshire and I am in Birmingham. I arranged to go and see it on Friday but now have noticed that the advert says that it needs tuning.

My brother has suggested that I go and see the piano and have a go on it and then if I did get the winning bid get a tuner to tune it and have a look at it before I committed to handing over the cash.

Does that sound like a good idea to you? I am really unsure how I can tell if I really like the piano if it is out of tune?

I'm also a bit concerned as to why somebody would be selling a piano - they say it is only 10 years old - with a starting bid of £3,900.00. There are no other bids at the moment and it ends on Sunday.

Any advice would be appreciated - even if it is just to say - forget it!

Thanks so much!
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Yamaha GA1 - second hand but not in tune

Post by mdw »

If you win its yours, if you want to check it out before hand pay to get it tuned before the auction ends. Or if you want certainty buy new from a Yamaha dealer.
quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by quinie »

That's sort of true but if I won the auction and then a tuner said that there was a problem I wouldn't have to hand over the money - I am a regular e-bayer and the worst that would happen is that I would get some bad "feedback" saying that I had bid but not paid!

I am umming and ahhing about getting one from a dealer but the price difference is quite steep and I am trying to weigh up the advantages/disadvantages and wish I was more decisive!!
dancarney
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by dancarney »

Contact a piano tuner local to the piano, ask him/her to check it out, and once you get the 'all clear', make your move.
Dan Carney BMus(Hons) DipABRSM

Junior Piano Technician
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Yamaha GA1 grands tend to go out of tune easily thats why it was replaced by the GB1,the hammers are so hard its needs a magician to be able to tone them,£3900 was probably what they paid for it 10years ago,would wait a while and try get a used C1 different league in the quality stakes.
quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by quinie »

Thanks for that message. I had a look onlne at reviews for the GA1 and a LOT of people are saying that they have had tuning problems.

Those reviews coupled with the fact that this particular one is out of tune have put me off. I will keep my money in my pocket for now.

Thanks again!!
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Yes ,the Yamaha GA1 does have a tuning issue but pianos need tuning on a regular basis and should not be a negative point. You will need it tuned once the piano has moved. If someone is selling a piano then they should get it tuned, like getting a car washed before selling it. That way the buyer can tell what sound/tone it has and not guess. But, some owners will not get them tuned regualry because they don't play it, but a piano will go out of tune no matter if it is played or not.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.