Steingraeber-Phoenix and Stuart Pianos

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Otto
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Steingraeber-Phoenix and Stuart Pianos

Post by Otto »

As many of you may remember from when I last posted (about 1000 years ago), I'm lucky enough enough to own a Steinway D (1985) - it's that bass that does it.

As a design engineer by profession, I've been always interested in the latest ideas in pianos and have been intrigued by Stuart pianos who have two USPs - the agraffe on the bridge, and the fourth pedal. The agraffe on the bridge is said to ensure that the motion of the string in vibration always retains its direction parallel to the movement of the hammer. In conventional pianos, the agraffe by the pins on the frame naturally favour vibration parrallel to the hammer movement while the pin on the bridge favours perpendicular movement (ie 90 degrees from the parallel). It is claimed that the bridge pin causes the string to change the direction of vibration from pararllel to perpendicular and back again (ie round and round) which is where so much energy is lost. Keeping it in a single plane retains the maximum amounrt of energy and hence the string sounds for much longer. Well it certainly seems to make a pretty big difference in practice, and the Stuart piano is certainly a very fine piano in that regard. The case is, of course, a matter of taste, and it certainly isn't mine!

Hurstwood pianos have persuaded (I think) Steingraeber pianos to take the same idea on board, and they've developed a similar agraffe for their Phoenix range of pianos (photo below). What is different is that the down-bearing by the agraffe is taken up by the bridge as an equal and opposite force on the sound-board, so the sound-board is effectively being 'lifted' towards the strings by the combined down-bearing of all the strings. What effect this will have in the long term to the shape and life of the sound-board I think is probably unknown at this stage.

The Stuart's other USP, the fourth pedal, is in addition to the standard three (una corda, sostenuto, sustain) and brings the hammers closer to the strings like an upright, but of course their is still no take-up or slack in the mechanism (and shouldn't be either). As a pianist I found that this made the pedalling quite impossible, as you now have to manage three of the pedals with your left foot. Much better pianists than me have had similar difficulties with them and I think it was a good idea that just doesn't work. However, Steingraeber have taken this on board and they've combined the actions of the left-most two pedals, and have made a compound mechanism which shifts una corda first and then brings the hammers closer to the strings as a secondary action when the pedal is depressed further. This is much better and makes the piano more manageable, but the una corda pedal movement is rather too much for my liking.

The thing that did blow me away (much to my own surprise), is the Steingreaber which was fitted with a carbon fibre sound-board. They had a 2mm carbon fibre board sandwiched with something (spruce?) which was the most amazing piano I've played on in my life. The real talking point is the bass strings, which have superb base frequencies, but also have enormous number of harmonics too. Each bass string when struck is rather like having the sustain pedal on just for that string (try it - and you'll see what I mean). I'm not sure of the reason, but the bass frequencies perform better than that on a conventional sound-board - I think it's to do with the elasticity of the material (Young's modulus). Interestingly they said they made the first with a 4mm thick sound-board but that was just rubbish. They're now in the process of reducing it to 1.6mm and expect even better things - we'll see.

Well I thought everyone would be interested to hear what's going on in the public research labs (they're playing around with a 9'6" Bosendorfer and putting these agraffes on that too - I wasn't much impressed).

Finally, would I swap any of these pianos for my model D ? No. The one with the carbon fibre sound-board would be tempting but the balance is a bit awry because the bass is over-stated. The mechanism is all carbon fibre up to the hammers too, which certainly looks a little strange, and they're planning on a carbon-fibre frame, and possibly an all-in-one frame and sound-board later on. It's all interesting, and we'll have to see what happens. I suspect that Richard (the proprietor) is the driving force. At 82 (or thereabouts) he's suffering from heart complications at the moment, and I'm concerned that should he be unable to run the business any more, or even worse, die, then that may be the end of this interesting chapter. Incidentally I understand that Wayne Stuart is in his 60's even though I've not met him.

Otto
cjm

Re: Steingraeber-Phoenix and Stuart Pianos

Post by cjm »

Hi Otto

I've just come across your post in this forum, and, as an owner of a Stuart piano, there are a number of things which I need to comment on.

I would suggest that you are confusing the principles of down bearing and string coupling. A mathematical model of the string’s directional force parameters can be found in a paper by Dr. Robert Anderssen, Senior Mathematician, CSIRO. This work sets out the reasons behind the Stuart & Sons claim that the bending direction of the wire in context to the striking plane has significant influence over the vibration behaviour of the string. There is no doubt, and this has been proven in theory and practice, that the sustain is greater, the sound is clearer, the dynamic range is greater, and there is more control over the inharmonicity of the string.

As to down bearing, this is the force that a stretched string might impart onto a point between two fixed heights in the event that such a point is not in the same plane as the outer fixed positions. This is best envisaged in the violin where the string clearly rises up and over the bridge at quite a significant angle. The same principle is the norm but not to the same degree in a standard piano. However, neither the Stuart nor the Phoenix bridge agraffes require this downward force to secure string coupling as it does in the old style pinned piano bridge.

The Stuart bridge agraffe contains all the reaction forces produced as a consequence of bending the wire to define its speaking length at the bridge. The agraffe can be decoupled from the bridge and it will not impart any bias whatsoever despite radical changes in string tension. The agraffe is about transmitting vibration to the soundboard which is designed on similar principles to a loud speaker. The standard piano’s soundboard is primarily a load bearing structure which is why is it so sensitive to degradation as it bears considerable buckling and twisting forces. This makes tuning sensitive whereas, tuning is significantly more stable in Stuart & Sons pianos.

Your views on the pedals show a lack of understanding as to their function and use. Your dismissal of them as being too troublesome for most is not supported by the reality. Stuart’s approach is unique and much superior to the dual function of the Steingraeber Phoenix (SF) system. The SF system requires that the horizontal shift function is engaged before the vertical shift function is engaged. These functions are separate in the Stuart piano and are thus for very good reason. These pedals produce totally different effects that can be produced either individually or compounded in infinitely variable amounts. In other words, they do not have to be depressed fully. The only reason for the Steingraeber – Phoenix configuration is fear of rejection similar to the placing of the fourth pedal by the Fazioli company away from the main group or even on a separate, optional lyre. A similar fear is seen in the Bosenyamaha Imperial, where the extra bass notes are reversed in colour so that pianists can avoid them like the plague. I have no problems, nor does anyone else I know of familiar with Stuart pianos, in using all pedals quite comfortably when required. The overall effect is produce sounds and timbres quite unobtainable on any other piano, including the Phoenix.

Should you require any further information or clarification, I would suggest that you contact Wayne Stuart through the website http://www.stuartandsons.com, who will confirm in detail what I have said here. You may also care to browse through my blog, http://cjmoore.blogs.exetel.com.au/inde ... es/P8.html, which is a detailed account on my experiences with the piano over the last five years.

Regards
Dr Christopher Moore
Sydney, Australia

PS: Wayne Stuart is not in his 60's :)