Size of room for U3

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

jonmkrobs

Size of room for U3

Post by jonmkrobs »

Hi, I'm considering buying a Yamaha U3. I've tried them out and like them but I'm concerned it may be too loud for my room. It would live in a room that's approx 11 x 9. The room has thickish carpets and a dining table and sideboard but not much in the way of soft furnisings apart from a big beanbag and rocking chair. Does this sound like I'm being too ambitious to enjoy playing a U3 in a room this size?

What about a U1? I have preferred the sound of a U3 when I've tried a couple, but I could be tempted by a U1. Would that be a better option in a room of that size? What's the general consensus? Does anyone own a U3 and play it in smallish room happily?

Also I tried out a Wendl and Lung piano today and was impressed by it. I don't know how it would compare against a U1. It's the same size, but I know it's Chinese made. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about them?

I also tried out some Kawai's but didn't really like them as much.

Any advice and help much appreciated.
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Size of room for U3

Post by joe »

Yamaha U3 if it fits or Kawai K6 would not bother with any of the other brands at your price bracket.
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

jonmkrobs: Many top music schools have 131cm uprights and 6'11" grands in tiny practice rooms and I know of many private customers who are delighted with new U3's in rooms no bigger than yours.

Those taller pianos also have longer keys, therefore more control - like a car with a bigger engine, you have the potential for more power, but you can also play even softer than on a smaller piano. Careful voicing of the hammers to match the acoustic of the room will give you an even better result. Comprehensive dealer pre delivery prepping and voicing can transform an out of the box Yamaha.

Go for the tallest and best piano you can accommodate, although most decent makes of 120cm and above have a good enough bass and dynamic range.

Regarding your question on the Wendl range, (one of the better Chinese made pianos) they have a totally different sound and feel to Yamaha - I would recommend trying them out in the same shop to get a true comparison. As always, it's down to personal taste.
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk
jonmkrobs

Post by jonmkrobs »

Thanks Chris, that's very good to know. I appreciate your helpful reply.