Valuation suggestion: Boston-Steinway Upright

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

JamesCormack

Valuation suggestion: Boston-Steinway Upright

Post by JamesCormack »

Hi everyone,

My mother currently owns an upright Boston-Steinway, bought in December 2000 for £6000 (reduced from £7500), tuned around 2 weeks ago. Plain, gloss mahogany finish, as-new condition.

She is considering parting with it, but does not know what it would be worth, particularly under the current economic conditions! I was hoping someone here might be able to suggest a realistic price range?

Thanks in advance
James
JamesCormack

Re: Valuation suggestion: Boston-Steinway Upright

Post by JamesCormack »

If nothing else, I was wondering if £42+VAT seemed like a reasonable price for a piano valuation, as offered here: http://www.courtneypianos.co.uk/valuation.html ?

Thanks again
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

JamesCormack wrote:Hi everyone,

My mother currently owns an upright Boston-Steinway, bought in December 2000 for £6000 (reduced from £7500), tuned around 2 weeks ago. Plain, gloss mahogany finish, as-new condition.

She is considering parting with it, but does not know what it would be worth, particularly under the current economic conditions! I was hoping someone here might be able to suggest a realistic price range?
Thanks in advance
James
In order to give an approximate price, the experienced guys here will need to know the model number. It looks to me like a UP132. You don't say, but presume it was purchased new in Dec 2000. I believe a similar model in polished mahogany now retails for around £8363 (but who pays full retail - especially in these hard times)?
So I would say at a guess if you can get 3500 for it privately you are doing pretty well. But there again, what do I know? The experts may prove me wrong.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
joe
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by joe »

Find out retail price when bought new,if tuned and maintained to a good standard take vat of rrp and then a third again should make it between £3500-£4000 at todays prices.Steinway do not have the discount policies employed by other wholesalers and are very active in dealer aftersales .Whether you can sell at that price is a different matter,and would have to be a "private sale".Dealer price no more than £2K.Auction price £1200-£1800 plus commissions.We usually charge for this but its sunday.
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

If you have a relationship with a good local music shop, they may well sell it for you. My local retailer did this for me recently and they were able to get 3x what a private sale would have. Once their (hefty) commission and removal fees had been subtracted I was still left with £thousands more than I could have achieved.

MV