A-Frame for school C3

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

A-Frame for school C3

Post by Model V »

Hi all,

Our school C3 is very difficult to wheel around on the old wooden floor. I can't imaging this is doing the piano any good (certainly not the floor). I suspect it needs an A frame. Can anyone recommend someone to advise on/fit one in the Midlands.

Thanks,

MV
longbow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: A-Frame for school C3

Post by longbow »

You could ask Heckshers, the're usually very helpfull. To find them, go to piano parts in the left hand column on this page then click on supply houses to find them.
D.J.Smith
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D.J.Smith »

There's one on ebay right now, item 320369810861, for £35. It was used with a G2 so should fit? Needs some tlc but at that price you can hardly go wrong.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Model V wrote:Hi all,

Our school C3 is very difficult to wheel around on the old wooden floor. I can't imaging this is doing the piano any good (certainly not the floor). I suspect it needs an A frame. Can anyone recommend someone to advise on/fit one in the Midlands.

Thanks,

MV
You do not want an easy fit one if if the floor is uneven as they give no support to the legs. As a school you have a duty of care to fit them anyway All school pianos should have safety castors fitted including A frams on grands by a competent person. There has been quite a few accidents with teachers one last year in south Wales broke his leg when the piano fell on him had safety castors but the wrong type.

As longbow as pointed out Heckshers will tell who in the Midlands fits the most. on the forum Brumtuner probably fits them, Mr. C. Melloy Tel: 01543 268565 or Tostevin Pianos
in Stoke-on-Trent 01782 617081

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

[/quote]

You do not want an easy fit one if if the floor is uneven as they give no support to the legs. As a school you have a duty of care to fit them anyway All school pianos should have safety castors fitted including A frams on grands by a competent person. There has been quite a few accidents with teachers one last year in south Wales broke his leg when the piano fell on him had safety castors but the wrong type.

As longbow as pointed out Heckshers will tell who in the Midlands fits the most. on the forum Brumtuner probably fits them, Mr. C. Melloy Tel: 01543 268565 or Tostevin Pianos
in Stoke-on-Trent 01782 617081

Barrie,[/quote]

Barrie, that's interesting. If you have time, please could you pm me with links to any statutory requirements you are aware of/other information.

I'm pretty certain I have sourced my A frame now. However, any evidence would be useful so I can make sure they go ahead as an H&S priority.

Thanks,

MV
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

You do not want an easy fit one if if the floor is uneven as they give no support to the legs. As a school you have a duty of care to fit them anyway All school pianos should have safety castors fitted including A frams on grands by a competent person.
Barrie, I was also going to ask if you can point me in the direction of a document which explain this in statutory terms. I'd like to see if I can get my bursar to fund an A-frame for our C7 but unless I can prove it's part of a duty of care etc I won't get very far!

Thanks
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

There a lot of BS regarding school pianos I think it is in this one from back in the 60
British Standard 3499 for School Musical Equipment even tell you the hight of the keyboard I have not read it just know of it. but that is now discontinued. However, we are working with the Department for Children, Schools and Families who is responsible H&S in schools to get them to make it a requirement

However, for it to be a health and safety issue only need one person to be hurt in the UK and there has been many. For Grands on stage and A frame with locking wheels is a must a have a few have fallen off stages and that can kill
the accident in Wales a few years ago Steve Workman has the detail on that as I think he has fitted a few hundred sets since . In Lancashire I do a quite a few a year there has been a few accidents

At present the ABPT is doing a leaflet for school on tuning and health and safety with pianos but that will not be ready till December

So at present there nothing in black and white but we are working on it

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

Thanks Barrie.

Hopefully your work will reap the reward of better safety. I would not want the back end of a piano squishing me, let alone (God forbid) some poor year 7.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Model V wrote:Thanks Barrie.

Hopefully your work will reap the reward of better safety. I would not want the back end of a piano squishing me, let alone (God forbid) some poor year 7.
Na there are plenty of seven year old's to replace the squashed ones, but not many piano teachers :twisted:

That was from LCC when I asked why on earth do we need 10 million public Liability is it if a drop a piano on a kid !

His reply was "Na 1/2 mil will cover a squashed brat, teachers well 3/4 of mill pos 1 mil at the most its the building that cost more to replace, we can advertise for a new teacher and the little brats are queuing up to get in. (sharp intake of breath) oww it the building that worth more to us. That was PRe 9/11 when 10 mill insurance was cheep

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

longbow wrote:You could ask Heckshers, the're usually very helpfull. To find them, go to piano parts in the left hand column on this page then click on supply houses to find them.
You sound 'very helpful' as well longbow - are you a teacher or someone in the er, trade?

Model V: Steve Cook at Fletchers supplies A frames and makes them. 01732 886555 He can put you in touch with a fitter locally too.
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk