What Do You Get With A New Piano?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

mgmcgill
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

What Do You Get With A New Piano?

Post by mgmcgill »

I've just recently bought myself a new Kemble Mozart Special Edition from my local 'Centre of Excellence'. I debated long and hard over this and I'm extremly happy with my purchase. (This thread is not to debate the quality/cost issues with Kembles).
I paid just under £5000 for it less a few hundred quid.

When it was delivered I was shocked/dismayed.....call it what you want......to discover that I didn't get any documentation with it.
There was nothing too tell me how to take care of the it, nothing about placement, nothing about my extended 10 year warranty....I could go on but I think you get the idea........It came with nothing.

I went back to the shop who informed me that they don't get anything from Kemble either.

I've penned a letter of dis-satisfaction to Mr Kemble but the question I'm asking here is

"What did you get with your new piano?"
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

You may get a photo copied guarantee A4 sheet sometimes in a stick on plastic sleve on the back of the case but most of the time not. I write the guarantee on the invoice and the dealer is the person to ask for all the other info. When its delivered the dealer should tell you the best place to put it etc. However you have bought a pucker bit of kit and you shouldnt have any problems. Your guarantee is with the retailer not Kembles so realy it depends on how good they are.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

You generally get nothing by way of documentation with a piano.

Yamaha used to give a booklet, cleaning mitt, key-cover and a couple of bottles of cabinet polish. They now sometimes give a pamphlet and a keyboard cover made of red felt, but not Kemble. They used to give a guarantee leaflet/registration card, but this is now not a legal requirement, and this was printed on the reverse of a hints and tips leaflet with a good many typos and errors. If you bought your Kemble from a C of E, well done. You'll just need to retain the receipt to validate your 10 year warranty.

Why do you need anything else? Don't you know how to operate it? Piano lessons are the answer ! ;-)
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: What Do You Get With A New Piano?

Post by PianoGuy »

mgmcgill wrote:
I've penned a letter of dis-satisfaction to Mr Kemble
He's no longer much to do with it, having flogged the vast majority of his shares!
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

When I bought my Yamaha, I got a small pack telling me about how to care for my piano, red felt keyboard cover, details of warranty and guarantee of parts and a small magazine relating to the model of piano I had purchased.

Nothing outstanding but obviously more than you got. I haven't bought many acoustics in the past, but what I got is a fairly standard pack that is put together by the manufacturing company, namely Kemble in your case.

The paperwork may have been lost in transit, lost by the retailer or possibly not sent with the piano. Unfortunately, these things do happen no matter what you are buying. As this is a big investment, I would suggest that the receipt and/or guarantees and warranty/ies would have to be present in document form, however that is done by Kemble.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What Do You Get With A New Piano?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

PianoGuy wrote:
He's no longer much to do with it, having flogged the vast majority of his shares!
That was Kemble-Yamaha the company set up in the 70's to imports Yamaha that they sold their shares in. Not Kemble Pianos they still as I understand l have controlling shares in Kemble Pianos

Most of the info and product registration is now done on the website

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

Yes, Brian Kemble is still very much at the helm. You should get a postcard (freepost) to send to Kemble which registers the product (they will send you a Kemble teddy bear!). The guarrantee IS with Kemble rather than the dealer and they honour it very well indeed. I would say ask for registration document.
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

It is possible the dealer has registered the product for you which would be nice of them. Ask them.
mgmcgill
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by mgmcgill »

Your guarantee is with the retailer not Kembles so realy it depends on how good they are.
That's not what I got told. I was told quite clearly the guarantee was with Kemble.

This alone highlights my case and point. If I go into any retail store and buy a toaster for a tenner, I get a guarantee card which clearly states my terms and conditions. It also tells me who to call in case of a claim and it also tells me what is and what is not covered.
Why do you need anything else? Don't you know how to operate it? Piano lessons are the answer !
The toaster also comes with a manual. Now how many people here don't know how to work a toaster? But still the manual will tell me how to use the controls, how to take care of it and how to clean the exterior casing.

This might sound trivial but I bought this for me and the kids. Now I know what the middle peddle does. I also know that if you push it down and to the left it locks out. If I didn't know this and bought the piano just for my kids because they liked the look and sound. How are they meant to know this?
As this is a big investment, I would suggest that the receipt and/or guarantees and warranty/ies would have to be present in document form, however that is done by Kemble.
I totally agree. How would you feel if you bought a new car and you were left to your own devices to figure things out. Car manufacturers know the importance of presenting there product. That's why you get a leather bound book which contain all the relavent documentaion you require from warranty terms & conditions, phone numbers of dealers and an owners manual telling you how to take care of your paintwork.
I'm sorry, but I want the same. I think there should have been a presentation pack taped to the rear with an owners manual giving you basic information on your piano, the various functions etc, and how to take care of the wood. I want a certificate stating the term of my guarentee and also the term and conditions.
I know some of this information is available on the net but not everybody has access to the internet. Again going back to the car, could you imagine opening you glove box and being presented with a printout from the net about all of the above.

And don't get me satrted on 'Special Edition'.
If my kid buys a 'Special Edition' Teddy Bear for 40 quid, she gets a certificate.
If it was me, I would issue a cert stating the unique serial no. ie 197 out of 250. I would sign it (ie by the managing director). I would give specific information on what makes it special, the type of wood the soundboard is made of, the material, what makes the hammers so special and I would present it in a professional manner.
All this greatly enhances the owners perspective of owning a Special Edition.

I think they are quick to produce there colour / glossy brochures etc...., they should go the extra bit and finish there product in the proper way.
They've driven the ball 350 yards and played a beautiful approach shot to within 2 inches.........then they've failed to tap the ball in the hole. You can't win the game without sinking the putt.

There finished. (But I still don't feel any better)
:-)
drg2217
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by drg2217 »

mcmcgill, I think you have a good point.

But do try not to let it spoil your enjoyment of your new piano!
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

The difference is the second the car is out of guarantee or 1 mile past service point they laugh at you and tel you where to go. Buy from a good retailer a they should help you out with minor things after guarantee ( if youve been a regular tuning customer). Plus im sure I remember one customer who Kembles did a repair for outside of guaratee. If you bought it from the other side of the country for a bargain price you are probably going to get the service you paid for. If you bought it localy and will have it tuned by the supplier you should get excelent service.

EITHER way you have got a great bit of kit dont let the lack of a shiny bit of paper spoil it.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

mgmcgill wrote: And don't get me satrted on 'Special Edition'.
If my kid buys a 'Special Edition' Teddy Bear for 40 quid, she gets a certificate.
Actually, in the case of the Mozart you should have a brass plate on the bass keyblock with the number out of 250, but the Special Edition thing raises a point:

Every Mozart *should* have a registration card which you send to Kemble and in return you receive?.... Yes, a £40 Limited Edition teddy bear!
ennjaydee
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by ennjaydee »

I just bought a new Bluthner. The important thing is to have a written guarantee. Mine's a single A4 certificate from the Dealer. Then there's the care instructions. I was advised to gently wipe the exterior, a polyester finish (same as Mozart), with a soft damp chamois leather; same for the keyboard. Dry soft cloth dusting generates static electricity which makes the piano a dust magnet. Tuning after 8-10 weeks once piano is acclimatised to new home is also usually included. That's it, apart from a stool of course! :lol:
ennjaydee
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by ennjaydee »

Oh ... and placement? Internal wall is best away from damp. Out of direct sunlight. Stable humidity 45% to 60% and stable temperature.

Hope you enjoy it. It's a great Piano you have bought. And Kemble have a positive reputation for after-sales care so don't have any regrets.
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

placement around 4in to 6inches away from a wall will improve the sound somewhat, as will placing at a slight angle as both allow the sound out from the back of the soundboard somewhat better.

Dusting - long straight line in one direction then fold cloth over before another long straight line - don't dust in circles as dust is an abrasive and after a while (well quite a long while actually but hey you know....) you will scratch the finish by circling.... my tuner recommends wiping with a damp cloth and following behind with a dry one....apparently high grade 100% carnauba wax polish, such as used in premium quality car polishs. is very good at actually reducing the static affect, increasing shine and reducing the amount of dust the piano attracts....
mgmcgill
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by mgmcgill »

Thanks for al the advice guys,

I'm ok with the cleaning...I've done my research, read the website etc....

The point of the thread is we wouldn't accept it with anything else we buy......we should (or expect) better from the piano manufactuers.

I wouldn't go into ASDA and pay full price for anything that didn't come in a box or with instructions. I shouldn't have to do it with a piano.

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutley delighted with my piano. I think it sounds great and looks equally as good and I said so in my letter to Kemble.

Maybe it's me thats nuts and not the rest of the world after all.

:-)
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

I understand what you mean about expecting something more than just the piano... but then to use your analogy of something brand new from a shop etc... I would be extremely wary of ever buying a new piano in a box... in fact.. I am happier knowing that someone has already taken my 'new' instrument to pieces so to speak... you would never buy a toaster if the box was opened and you thought someone had already been using the so-called new toaster... but with a piano you absolutely need someone to have played it, tuned it, regulated it, voiced it... before you even get it - and that is AFTER it comes from the manufacturer to the dealer.

e.g. my piano is currently in a container on its way from Germany.. I would be horrified to think that it would be sent straight to me, without the dealer first having his own techs work on it to ensure everything is in tip-top condition. Knowing they have done that makes me much easier of mind about whether or not I get a bunch of documentation. As long as I have the receipt, relevant certificates and warranty, and most importantly the keys for the fallboard ;) I will be happy :)
mgmcgill
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by mgmcgill »

Knowing they have done that makes me much easier of mind about whether or not I get a bunch of documentation. As long as I have the receipt, relevant certificates and warranty
My case and point.
crispin
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by crispin »

Genaa - with your Sauter you will get your documentation and also a polishing cloth:D.

With our Bechstein Academy 124 - we do have some documenation inside taped in a pocket to the front of the case - plus a receipt from the dealer and a photocopy of his guarentee. After spending so much - I found it rather meagre - but the piano is the important item - not the documentation - so in the end I did not let it bother me.

I also found that in the case of Bechstein - they do reply to questions sent by email so there is some 'after sales service'. They also sent a baseball cap inscribed C.BECHSTEIN for my son - what more can one ask for?? :D
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Hi,
I recently took delivery of a new Sauter Masterclass, which came with the following documentation:-

Val di Fiemme soundboard certificate.
Guarantee card.
Polishing cloth.
Handbook of 20+ pages giving maintenance tips (including ideal temperature & relative humidity range), Sauter history and description of the various components etc.

It's certainly nice to get a full pack like this, but hey with the price paid, I'd be disappointed with anything less.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

Hi

My Yamaha came with a polishing cloth, a book of instructions (including how to operate the Silent system) and a music book.

The music book contained a couple of pieces which I played through. The rest were either too difficult or I already had the music. It's also difficult to use the book as the music rest has no things to hold the pages. The copy of the Moonlight Sonata 1st mvmt also requires 3 page turns, wheeras the copy I already have only needs two. That's important for me! (You can tell my skill level from that!)

BUT the dealer also supplied a free stool! I wasn't expecting it, as I already had one, but it matches the piano so I was grateful for it.
pianobrereton
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianobrereton »

The Kemble mozart is a very fine piano and very cheap at the price compared to some others mentioned . But I think it would be good idea to have provided you with a little booklet of the companys history and some tips .
Perhaps because of its price they feel they can't afford it.
It will be interesting to hear what Kemble say in answer to your letter, perhaps they will start to provide them. I think they should.
mgmcgill
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by mgmcgill »

I recently took delivery of a new Sauter Masterclass, which came with the following documentation:-

Val di Fiemme soundboard certificate.
Guarantee card.
Polishing cloth.
Handbook of 20+ pages giving maintenance tips (including ideal temperature & relative humidity range), Sauter history and description of the various components etc.

It's certainly nice to get a full pack like this, but hey with the price paid, I'd be disappointed with anything less..
I don't think price should come into it. I think it should be standard from any reputable company.

That's it.....I'm not going to moan about it anymore. I think I've made my point. As I said, I think it's a wonderful instrument and I've truly enjoyed playing it since I bought it.
Last edited by mgmcgill on 07 Nov 2008, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
mgmcgill
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by mgmcgill »

It will be interesting to hear what Kemble say in answer to your letter, perhaps they will start to provide them. I think they should.
I'll certainly keep you posted.
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

pics of piano and teddy bear (when it arrives!) please :)
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

I got pack of 40 nicely printed 10 year guarantee letters in the post this morning from Kembles. All the info you could need printed on the back. I guess thats a thumbs up for Kemble for a quick response to a customers letter.
mgmcgill
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by mgmcgill »

I got pack of 40 nicely printed 10 year guarantee letters in the post this morning from Kembles
Hi mdw,

I take it you sell Kembles? Did you ask for these or was it unexpected?

Just curious
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Yes we are a Kemble dealer and no I didnt ask for them they just turned up.
mgmcgill
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by mgmcgill »

I'll post better pictures when I dig out my SLR and mount on a tripod.

In the meantime, pics are from a cheap digital.

ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage

:D
tuna
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tuna »

No matching stool? :(
tuna
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by tuna »

....and what happened to poor Teddy's eyes?!
mgmcgill
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by mgmcgill »

Yes there is a matching stool but I prefer my double. It looks a lot better and I can sit with the kids.
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

lovely looking piano :)