Dust

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Stuart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Dust

Post by Stuart »

I have searched the forums (honest!), but not found any information on a very basic topic: how to reduce/slow down the rate at which dust is attracted to the shiny black casework of a modern piano. My Kawai RX2 looks lovely for all of a few minutes, then swirls of dust descend upon it. I am wary of substances, as my last piano was damaged by using some substance (before I acquired it) unless someone who has used them can vouch for their effectiveness.
I'm sure there are simple household products that work. At present I am just gently using the duster provided with the piano: shifting the dust onto the duster, then into the air, then back onto the piano!
Any thoughts welcome.
D.J.Smith
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D.J.Smith »

Does your RX2 has a polyester finish ? I use Mr Sheen, which is anti-static, on my mahogany polyester Estonia. Result ; no dust and no finger prints.

I had the extra problem of light scuffs/scratches on my previous gloss black polyester Yamaha. Black turtle wax colour magic car polish proved most effective to fix that.
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

Consider using a high grade carnauba wax polish as detailed here: http://pianochronicles.wordpress.com/20 ... os-finish/

That apparently stops the finish attracting so much dust in the ifirst place, and has the added benefit of increasing the shine of the finish whilst also providing a protecting layer against scratches etc.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

have the same problem with my brodmann. on my bluthner you cant see the dust unless you write your name in it coz its rosewood :P
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I keep the cover on my Yam C3 now - got sick of dusting it every 2 minutes and in any case anything bigger than a molecule leaves whirly scratches on the surface when its dusted - and that's using every product Cory ever invented. Basically, polyester is crap (but attractively priced).
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

You need a nennette duster. Looks like a brush from a dustpan and brush set but has string instead of bristles. The string is wax coated and when you glide it over the case the dust sticks to it rather than scratching the case. Plus the dirtier itgets the better it work. Years ago I got mine from Robert Dyas but they only stock a crap imitation one now. I think some classic car parts places do them or I remember seeing the wax for it on fleabay.
Stuart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Stuart »

Many thanks for all your responses. I shall proceed with caution. :D
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

A cheap option is to buy a "microfibre" cloth, it picks up the fine dust well.