Berry Baby Grand

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

splatthefly

Berry Baby Grand

Post by splatthefly »

I have inherited a Berry Baby Grand from my brother. We need to sell as we don't have the space to keep. I have no idea on valuation. Can anybody help?
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

ebay is probably your best bet. never heard of berry, and old baby grands are never worth alot (sorry to disappoint) but it may be just the right piano for someone.
splatthefly

Post by splatthefly »

OK. Thanks for the quick reply :)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

The good news is that baby grands fetch more than they're actually worth, because of the 'snob' value. you might find someone would buy it as 'set dressing' rather than to actually play. Advertise it emphasising its small size and its looks and what colour/type of wood it is.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

something like

baby grand piano, compact size, elegant and classic style, beautiful wood finish, would be the centre piece of any home, excellent tone, regularly tuned, would suit both the beginner and advanced pianist. £###

Play to the strengths. A piano that looks beautiful is half sold!

Even if you dont think it sounds good, say it sounds good and let the people trying it out decide for themselves. Also, don't worry about people picking faults with it, its what happens. I remember some arsewipe trying out a piano I had for sale and he claimed to be a piano teacher. He tore the piano to bits (verbally) When he sat down to play I almost laughed out loud and thought if he teaches piano I can do brain surgery!
Bill Kibby

Berry

Post by Bill Kibby »

In music, the "Three Bs" are Bach, Beethoven & Brahms. In the piano trade generally, the "Three Bs" are Bechstein, Blüthner & Bosendorfer, except in London, where they are Barnes, Berry & Boyd, three large retailers who had many branches around London last century. I worked for Berry Pianos in the sixties.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

baby grand piano, compact size, elegant and classic style, beautiful wood finish, would be the centre piece of any home, excellent tone, regularly tuned, would suit both the beginner and advanced pianist. £###
That's an outrageous attempt to induce unsuspecting members of the public to hand over their money based on wildly inflated claims of quality. FABULOUS - I LOVE IT!!!!! 8)
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

The sad thing is, you don't have to MAKE them hand over their money...they see a baby grand and say 'Ooo I want that.' To put pictures and silver on, generally. What's worse is that sometimes a lovely big upright gets elbowed in favour of what is known by myself and my tuner friends, as an ashtray.
vernon

Post by vernon »

i've always found Berrys a businesslike middle of the road piano, even the 3/4 iron frame ones. ( with the red label)
Some of the 30's miniature can be a bit of a paino f a piano ( anag)

re grands for status;

We had a look here at a cruise ship's huge old grand which was past any reasonable renovation. The owners would spend no money on it or replace it as it was kept in the lounge as the only large surface where the passengers could consult a chart of the voyage!
Bill Kibby

in the ship

Post by Bill Kibby »

...And I wish I had a pound for every piano hat was supposed to have been made for the Queen Mary, or used on the Queen Mary!!
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
vernon

Post by vernon »

Bill Kibby
There is also an ancient Chappell concert grand around here allegedly from the Mauretania..
It has no castors only plates to bolt it to the floor/ deck presumably.
It is in the corner of the room surrounded by and covered with ancient computers that mustn't be disturbed! Obviously you can't move the piano out for a squint nevertheless, I was invited to make an offer for this dinosaur viewed fromabout six foot away. I guess it's still there
vernon
Bill Kibby

More or less

Post by Bill Kibby »

I think I've seen a photos on the net somewhere?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

i've never played a chappell concert grand. were they good in their day? How do they compare with steinways and yamahas etc, or is it too difficult to say because they're all so old?

No i'm not thinking of buying one!
vernon

Post by vernon »

this is the only one Ive seen in yrs but I couldnt even get near it.
Can't give you any useful opinion on them.