caird hall steinway

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

caird hall steinway

Post by joseph »

I have just spent the last two days recording on the steinway D in dundee's caird hall.

It was great fun, the hall seats nearly 3000 people and despite its huge size, it has a really warm sound.

The piano was very very bright but we coped with that with our mic set up, and being well tuned by an outstanding tuner it never jarred.

All in all it was great fun to have a concert hall to myself, a tuner at my beckon, and a beautiful piano to play with. I was recording works by Grieg, Holberg Suite, Sonata, 4 pieces op1, and two elegiac melodies (last spring and hearts wounds) more details to come, its going for a little bit of editing, i have the sleeve notes to do and the cover art work.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Sounds like an interesting disc. I had a look at the Caird hall website - classy venue.
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

The Caird Hall was once described by Billy Connolly as "like the Clyde Tunnel, but with seats in it". I'm not so sure, but it does have an interesting layout.

I also think that for the first 40 years of its life it was second biggest concert hall in the UK, the Albert Hall being the first.

I don't know if you watch the annual new year concert from the the Musikverein concert hall in Vienna, it's very similar in size and layout, though a bit more ornate than Dundee's one.