Insurance job

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Insurance job

Post by athomik »

Hi,
I know it's a bit a of a long shot, but does anybody have any idea what a Mark1 Yamaha Disklavier(MX100A/B) might fetch these days? Assume that it hasn't been too well maintainted and would need at least some voicing & regulation, but it hasn't been abused (i.e. domestic use, not commercial abuse in some hotel lobby). I'm not looking for an accurate figure, just a general range.

Mind you, I'll probably call it a write-off anyway. :sad:
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Around 3.5k if it's a mint UK model with English Disklavier unit. but around 2.5k in typical used condition. They're not the Public's favourite model because the unit is built in to the top of the cabinet rather than stand-alone, and the disk is only a floppy. MIDI facilities are useful though.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

Thanks, that is roughly what I thought. With the lightning damage this one has, it's definitely a write-off.
Grenache
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Grenache »

If the insurance cover is new-for-old, then you shoudd consider what it would cost for a new instrument of comparable quality.

When my piano was replaced, the valuation considered where in the market my piano would have been when new, e.g. average, good quality, top-of-the-range (it wasn't the last one!), and then estimated what the new price would be for a similar instrument would be in today's market range.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

As a current equivalent I suggested the Yamaha DU1A, which is the most basic upright Disklavier (there are only 2 upright Disklavier models anyway). I'm not sure where an insurance company would stand on the idea of a different piano with an aftermarket system.