Sustain pedal noise in grand piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Len
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Sustain pedal noise in grand piano

Post by Len »

I have just bought a Kawai RX-1 and love it (and thanks to all here for opinions etc when I was looking for the piano). This is my first grand piano, however, and I am wondering if I should be bothered by the following.

Essentially, I can hear the sustain pedal at work:

1. When I press on the pedal (so that the dampeners lift off the strings), I can hear a light "schiiiing" sound. Since the dampeners were resting on the strings, I guess this would be expected, but the sound is louder than I expected. Of course, this sound is apparent only when the lid of the grand is lifted.

2. Similarly, when I then let go of the sustain pedal, I can hear a "thud" as the dampeners come back to rest on the strings.

I expected a slight noise, but it does seem a bit loud, especially if I can going to be placing sensitive microphones near that area to record my playing. Just wondering why it does not appear to be so apparent on recordings of piano pieces.

Thoughts, anyone? Or should I just get a tuner in?

Cheers

Len
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The "schiiiing" sound is common on new pianos it will go or you can get the tuner to iron the double splits as this is where it is coming form

As to the thud that you will have to live with and learn to control your pedal

Micing up a piano is good fun with sensitive microphones if you go over the string you will pick up action noise if you mike for under the piano you pick up the pedals best to use 2-3 mics set at a low recording level or if the background noise level is low 2 mics about 3 meters away up above the rim

Kawai do a piano recording kit

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Len
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Len »

Many thanks Barrie.

I'll let the piano settle in.

You are right, I need to just watch my piano pedaling technique.

I have only been able to play digital pianos for many many years - this is my first acoustic piano in about 15 years!!!!! So you can imagine these things stand out.

But I can tell you that having this REAL acoustic piano to play just makes me so euphoric I cannot describe it (not in a family-based forum anyway haha).

Thanks again!
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

But I can tell you that having this REAL acoustic piano to play just makes me so euphoric I cannot describe it
I know what you mean. I bought my C3 over a year ago but I still catch myself staring misty-eyed at it because I can't quite believe it's mine!

I had similar pedal noise issues when our school C7 arrived. The 'schiiing' certainly dies away but I'm surprised how much 'thud' is still there in coursework recordings. Then again, I'm often recording GCSE candidates whose pedal techniques are perhaps not the most refined!

On my C3 I sometimes find there's some resistance when the sustain pedal is nearest the floor and also a sort of click. I solved both temporary by simply rotating the pedal rod a bit (amateur guesswork rules...) but I wonder if anyone knows what might be causing it and whether it needs a proper fix? My tuna said there was nothing wrong with it, but I KNOW BETTER....
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Openwood wrote:
On my C3 I sometimes find there's some resistance when the sustain pedal is nearest the floor and also a sort of click. I solved both temporary by simply rotating the pedal rod a bit (amateur guesswork rules...) but I wonder if anyone knows what might be causing it and whether it needs a proper fix? My tuna said there was nothing wrong with it, but I KNOW BETTER....
Bent push rod comes to mind or a foreign object in the pedal box

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Openwood wrote:

I had similar pedal noise issues when our school C7 arrived. The 'schiiing' certainly dies away but I'm surprised how much 'thud' is still there in coursework recordings. Then again, I'm often recording GCSE candidates whose pedal techniques are perhaps not the most refined!
A fix for the school piano get the tuner to turn down the pedal nut so that dampers only just clear the string when the pedal is full down then will reduces it quite a lot, it will have to be monitored having the clearance so close

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Thanks, Barrie - will ask tuner to investigate!
vernon

Post by vernon »

when dampers go up they hiss. When they come down they thud. Listen to the music not the mechanics.
vernon
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

when dampers go up they hiss. When they come down they thud. Listen to the music not the mechanics.
Yeah, well that was the plan when I spent 10k on the frickin' thing.