Is White all right?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Alec in France

Is White all right?

Post by Alec in France »

At last I have enough space to house the 170cm or so grand I've always wanted. Having looked at prices and advice in the forum it seems that to look for a keen deal on a new piano will be the best option - at the moment I'm tending towards Boston, if I can find a dealer.
But now the question: A white piano would best fit our decor and style. At some stage it will be necessary to downsize again, so although resale value isn't the most important consideration it can't be ignored. Any thoughts on whether white pianos are harder - or maybe easier - to sell second hand? If they're cheaper perhaps I should go for second hand after all? Or does white mean probably played to death in a jazz club somewhere?
Alec in France
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Any dealer will tell you if they have a white piano in they can’t sell it, if they don’t have one in they get requested for one – you will sell it but it may just take a bit longer

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Alec in France

Post by Alec in France »

Many thanks Barrie - that was both very quick and very reassuring!
Alec in France
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Just a thought; a few of the white UPRIGHTS I tune have shown signs of yellowing, even in homes where nobody smokes. These pianos are all 1970's -80's ones, so whether that trait has been put right or not I'm not sure. I was talking to an ex-Steinway tuner today who told me that Steinway let a concert grand go cheaper (ie, ten times more than a 'common' piano!)
because it was white and they felt it would be harder to sell.
Hope this has helped!
Gill