U1 Squeak

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

lpt100
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

U1 Squeak

Post by lpt100 »

Hi,

dont know if anyone else has this problem with their yamaha but i do and wonder if anyones know how to fix it? When i'm playing and use the sustain pedal, after a while the pedal begins to squeek in the most annoying way :( :cry: . Its a relitively new U1 made in 1994. any suggestions would be appreciated.
:?:
thanks
The pianoforte is to music what print is to poetry.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

There are 2 types of squeaks associated with sustain pedal one is the trap work (pedal mechanism) and the other is the damper springs the latter you need a tuner to sort as this is caused by all the springs rubbing in there housings and you need to take out the action and unhook each spring, clean and lobe.

The first one, which is the most common is normally the leather washer under the pedal drying out or the plastic bushings on the back pivot has some dust in there.

If you take off the bottom board press the pedal with your hand you should be able to hear where the squeak is coming form if it is local then you know it is the trap work if it is come form above then it is time to get your tuner in.

Cost:

Well I can only say for myself but if it was the trap work and I was tuning it anyway no extra charge if it is the springs then 75.00 pounds + the tuning

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

I have a U1 (1990) and my piano had this problem, I'm glad to say that it was the mechanism rather than the dampers themselves. I have come accross other 90s U1s with similar problems but are relitively straight forward to fix.

Regards
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
lpt100
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by lpt100 »

hiya, thanks alot i'll have a go at cleaning the pivot. Would it be advisabel to rub a bit of oil on it while its all apart? It seems to be a plastic washer.

Thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

lpt100 wrote:hiya, thanks alot i'll have a go at cleaning the pivot. Would it be advisabel to rub a bit of oil on it while its all apart? It seems to be a plastic washer.

Thanks
Oil, OIL Thake that that man out and shoot him :)

You should never use oil on a piano the best thing is silicon spray or powdered Teflon also dry powdered graphite but be careful as it marks as a last resort WD40 :cry:

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
jrjw
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

u1 squeak

Post by jrjw »

hi,
Sorry to but in, I have my own problems(see my posts), but I have been speaking to my piano tunerand mentioned this problem. He seems to remember a similar problem with another Yamaha model, and whilst he can't believe they used the same mechaism on one of their top pianos, seems to remember that they modified and retrofited them, whilst being very careful to not admit liability. Perhaps a phone call to Milton Keynes might prove fruitful.
J
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Your not butting in at all, all comments are welcome here.

If the piano is a grey market piano (was not meant for European market ) Yamaha UK will not touch it or supply parts for it, part of their seasoned for destination policy that is one of the downsides of buying the imported second hand pianos

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
richarddale
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by richarddale »

are these grey market jap pianos that bad, I mean are they somehow unsuited to our clime (cannot adapt to dampness or whatever) or are the importers merely protecting their market by saying that grey import are "bad"
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

A bit of both, pre 1970 Yamaha pianos should be avoided as Yamaha did not session the timber for the pianos they learned the hard way that homes in the UK and north America are very dry compared to homes in Japan. As a rough guide I always advise not to get any piano form Japan older than 1975 to be on the safe site - However, some of the 1980 second hand pianos coming out of Japan are much nicer than the new ones but I am finding that some of the Bass strings are showing early signs of tubeness

Barrei,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

I have found the 1980s imported Yamahas to be generally good as well. Another good period is the early 90s through to about 94/5.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
lpt100
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Hmm

Post by lpt100 »

Hey, not been here for a while.....my piano was built in 1994 supposedly, and i bought it new in 98...what it was doing for 4 years i'll never know :? Its serial number is U1 E29789. Are there any common problems in this batch? ooooo and its got a 5 year warrenty from 99 so is it worth calling in?

The squeak is playing games with me now. :twisted: comes and goes as it pleases annoyeingly mostly during quiet passages or whenever i play Skryabin....a piano with a taste in music:?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I take it you have had it tuned a few times since you got it what did the tuner say was the problem was. Yamaha will only tell you it get tuned and let the tuner fix it, the guarantee it for major faults anything the has moving parts will squeak some time in it life Your tuner needs to take the complete system out lub it and put it back all part of have you piano maintained

As to what it was doing for 4 years sat on the shop floor probably, it is not uncommon for pianos to be hanging around the factory for a wile as well. Pianos get their number when the first pice of wood is cut, unlike cars that only get a number when it leaves the showroom

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page