humidity

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

humidity

Post by jackg »

This wet weather has left a lot of mosture in the air, much more so than in a normal summer (whatever that is). The humidity meter in the kitchen has been between 65 and 75% for the past two to three weeks. Even with the windows open it does not reduce it by much.
It makes me wonder what effect it is having on my piano, I hope it does cause too many problems.
This is sticks-ville, nearest neighbour is 100 yards away, a wood opposite and fields all around, wheat, maize and ley which may cause a higher humidity than in a town.
So how about a humidity competition to see who has the highest?

My highest has been 76%
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: humidity

Post by Barrie Heaton »

jackg wrote:
My highest has been 76%

too much over a long period your action will get sluggish

most pianos at the moment are above pitch well the ones that have been tuned to a440 some new pianos are 50 cents sharp not good

the highest I have seen was 92% the piano was in the kitchen of a Chinese chippy and the lowest was 15% underfloor heating you could drop a playing card down the cracks in the soundboard

Barrie,

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

Barrie Heaton wrote: the highest I have seen was 92% the piano was in the kitchen of a Chinese chippy
Ye Gods, what was a piano doing in any kitchen, let alone a Chinese chippy? :shock:
Pheonix
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Pheonix »

David B wrote:
Barrie Heaton wrote: the highest I have seen was 92% the piano was in the kitchen of a Chinese chippy
Ye Gods, what was a piano doing in any kitchen, let alone a Chinese chippy? :shock:
Dare I say....Chopsticks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Pheonix wrote:
Dare I say....Chopsticks
LOL

it was the only place they had - no way would it have gone upstairs so needs must - the piano is now in Manchester in a normal house

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page