Steinway as an investment

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

pockpock
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Steinway as an investment

Post by pockpock »

I have just been looking at the Steinway website and their claims (under the heading 'A Sound investment') that only a Steinway is a good investment. To support this claim they quote evidence, e.g. from Forbes, dating back to the 1980s. Surely this is a poor show from such a prestigious firm. What is the investment value now in 2007?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

It's probably not far wrong. In any case, if you want to regard a piano as an 'investment', a popular model of Steinway is as close as you're likely to get.

Factor in the fact that you will also have had one of the world's finest and most beautiful musical instruments in your home, upon which you can amuse, entertain and inpress the hell out of your neighbours, something which your Dun and Bradstreet rating is unlikely to do.

As I recall, a Model B was about 25k in 1985. If nicely maintained and immaculate, that piano will be worth north of 30k now, so it all depends how you look at it. In cash terms it has increased, in real terms it has dropped in value. A similarly sized Bosendorfer will have cost more and will now be worth south of 20k.

25k invested wisely in 1985 would be worth more. It would have bought you a studio flat in Fulham. Look to sell that for close on 175k now. It would also have bought you a chunk of units in an Equitable Life pension which I know from bitter experience would now be worth f'k hall.

You pays yer money......