1896 Steinway Model O - how to value?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

pockpock
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

1896 Steinway Model O - how to value?

Post by pockpock »

What do members think about vintage Steinways? This one dates from 1896 according to the Piano Book by Larry Fine. It was not played from 1950 to 2001 and since then has been used for piano lessons and is said to be in good condition. The price list in the 2001 Piano book is in dollars and now out of date and the Supplement only gives advice on prices for new pianos. I could never afford a new Steinway Model O. What are the chances that this would be OK without a massive rebuild, and could anyone hazard a ball-park figure as to what I should offer for it?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

It's unlikely to be great without a massive rebuild, but assuming it's a German piano, not one of the American things, it will be worth around 2-3K as raw material for rebuilding. If it works OK and you can get it for less, I reckon you shouldn't lose out if it turns out to be a lemon. The Americans And Japanese are usually in the market for Hamburg Steinways. If it's an American one it'll be worth less and the Americans wouldn't be hungry to buy it, although some are very decent.

A German one's one of the few pianos that you could buy, have restored and (provided the restoration was done by someone reputable and recognised) you could use it for a few years and break even at the end of the day.

Sure it's a model O? I think the model debuted in 1900.
Last edited by PianoGuy on 12 Jan 2007, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
pockpock
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by pockpock »

Thank you, PianoGuy. According to the Piano Book p 213 its serial number (201K+) dates it to 1896, but you are right, p211 says they started making Model O in 1900. So I am mystified. The current owner thinks it is 1920s. When you said 2-3K do you mean UK pounds? .
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

pockpock wrote: When you said 2-3K do you mean UK pounds? .

Yes.

What other currency is there? ;)

Start the bidding at 1500 and see what happens!!

Oh.... I'm assuming it's in a wood finish (Walnut, rosewood etc....) not black, and largely original..... Black is worth less, as is a piano with plastic key covers, moderrnised legs or music desk etc.
pockpock
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by pockpock »

Thanks for your input. Wasn't sure whether I was on the UK forum or the USA one. I am new to these forums and they don't seem as easy to use as the cricket ones I use a lot. The piano is said to have a walnut finish and real ivory keys; It was not played for 50 years so maybe despite the age still has some life in it. Larry Fine in the Piano Book says 4500-6500 (worse condition) 7000-10000 average condition and 10,000-14,000 better than average condition, for a private buyer. Presumably dollars and for an American audience, so your advice is very useful. I'll let you know what happens. :)
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

pockpock wrote: The piano is said to have a walnut finish and real ivory keys; It was not played for 50 years so maybe despite the age still has some life in it. Larry Fine in the Piano Book says 4500-6500 (worse condition) 7000-10000 average condition and 10,000-14,000 better than average condition, for a private buyer. Presumably dollars and for an American audience, so your advice is very useful. I'll let you know what happens. :)
Walnut is certainly the most sought-after, and ivory is nice. Fine's prices are off-kilter for our market, but in this case he's not far off (his prices will be in USD). I'm assuming these prices are for German pianos? If they are for American examples, the US market really is Steinway-mad.

You could have a gem here. Even if it's a complete woofer I can smell a profit!
pockpock
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by pockpock »

Thanks PianoGuy, but can I just clarify?; your first reply said you thought ?2-3K was the right price; then you agreed with Fine who says 10-14K dollars which is roughly ?5-7K. Are you now supporting the higher figure?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

No, I agree with him.

I'm assuming worse condition, because these things nearly always are.

And so should you.
pockpock
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by pockpock »

Thanks PianoGuy. It is on Ebay currently (11.1.07) for a second time, asking 11,000 pounds starting bid. Owner insists it is a 1920 model. By your advice, 8 x overpriced? What do you think having had a look?
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

Wow. For that money you could buy a brand new Yamaha C3. :shock:

Have you seen the piano and played it? Ebay is OK for a punt (if something is cheap), but I would never recommend bidding on something at that price unless you have seen it and played it.

Have you thought of the Piano Auctions in London, if you're determined to have a Steinway. They are run every few months and there is normally quite a good selection, in various states of repair.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

pockpock wrote:Thanks PianoGuy. It is on Ebay currently (11.1.07) for a second time, asking 11,000 pounds starting bid. Owner insists it is a 1920 model. By your advice, 8 x overpriced? What do you think having had a look?

eBay item 180071310429?

It certainly looks '20s, and the serial number is slap on 1920 if memory serves me correctly, but the photo is taken at an angle which makes it difficult to see for deffo if it's a Yank or a Jerry. My guess at this point would be German since the cheek visible at the bass end appears to be curved. May be the photo, but it looks mahogany to me.

It's stupidly overpriced for a punt without getting a very thorough survey done, and I'd knock 'em down a few K for the lack of taste displayed by the ghastly wallclock.

As David B says, you could get a C3 for that kind of wedge.