Opinion on Yamaha YUS series? Review

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Jayne

Opinion on Yamaha YUS series? Review

Post by Jayne »

Hi - I've read with interest the previous messages on buying a used Yamaha U3. I've really struggled to find anything with a serial number above 3.5 and have not been completely happy with any of the 1970s/early 1980s U3s I have looked at. Am now considering buying a new U3 but have noticed the new YUS series. Reading about them on the Yamaha web site they claim to take the professional piano to a new level with inspiringly rich sound and delicate balance. Does anyone have a view on the YUS3 or YUS5? Are they worth the extra money over the U3S or even U5? Many thxs :)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I have only tuned one YUS1 - did it blow me away to be honest no, was it better than the U1 next to it well it had a Sostenuto pedal, the base was rounder the action was smother was it worth the extra £1000.00 well…… if you are very good player and a grand is out then probably yes

My expectation may have been too high I was hoping there would be the great void like there is in the C range compared to the S4

But that is only my opinion others may think they are worth every penny you need to do a side by site comparison and to have a few to look at, sadly there is not many places that stock them. They may advertise them but will only get them in to order

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Not really much in it unless you must have the latest model. The YUS5 isn't actually as good a design as the soon-to-be-dropped U5, since it ditches the predecessor's semi-agraffed frame. I'd stick to the definitive U1 or the better but uglier U3, or if you really must, and can cope with the nasty Americanised styling, buy one of the last of the old u5 models.

If you want a real belter, save up for an SU7. I've a feeling that they're about to be dropped too since they're no longer listed in the official price list, but Yamaha deny this, so forget saving up and bag one quick. They've got the best upright action you'll ever play and sound great too. Better than a Steinway V or even K in all respects, and a better action than the divine Bösendorfer 130 or excellent Blüthner B. Not quite as pretty-sounding as these though.
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

If you can find one, try a kawai K6 or K8. I have not tried the K8 but the K6 was awsome!! Another alternative is the Samick WSU 131 which I like for its rounded but rich sound.
swings and roundabouts!
Jayne

Post by Jayne »

Guys - Many thanks for your replies, always really useful to hear what others think. I paid a visit to a prolific Yamaha dealer today - I live in Huddersfield so its a short drive west on the M62, you may know the one! He has old U3s as well as new U3s, a U5, YUS3, YUS5 and SU7. I have to say I can't fall in love with his new U3s - good bass but somewhat lacking in the treble don't you find? The last of the U5s he had was better but still not really really setting my world on fire! A few years ago I had an old but very lovely 6ft 6" Bechstein so its not easy going back to upright but now several house moves later I don't have the space for a grand :( But wow the SU7 was really very nice (just as you indicated Piano Guy!). If I were to put myself in this price bracket (!) is there anything else I should consider? And remember to tell me where I might find one! Many thanks again :)
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Jayne wrote:I have to say I can't fall in love with his new U3s - good bass but somewhat lacking in the treble don't you find?
If you get a good technician to set a U3 up properly, that treble comes alive! I must say I think the sound of the U series before they were fitted with the silly lid closer (ie one of about 1988 vintage) was nicer, although it may just be that they're prepping them differently at Yamaha UK these days... or maybe some of them not at all.......
Jayne

A decision at last!

Post by Jayne »

Just a quick update to let you know which piano I finally went for! After a vast amount of consideration and research (some of the previous discussions on this site about 'best uprights' were invaluable) and having looked around widely the chances of finding the Steinway V or K, Bösendorfer 130 or Blüthner B were looking very slim! So I finally went for a brand new mighty Yamaha SU7! Even these at the moment are in short supply - it seems Yamaha aren't making them quick enough.

I'll let you know what the piano is like once its settled into its new home. Many thanks ... great forum :D
andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by andyaeola »

The post above just reminded me of this thread
http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/piano2717-0.html

and the fact that Steinway K's are no longer the most expensive upright in the country. That dubious honour goes to the Bechstein Concert 8 as sold in Harrods, which earlier this year had a tag with...
I'd wait for the famous sale :lol:

Regards

Andy

P.S. Still ain't got to drool on a Bosie 130.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: A decision at last!

Post by PianoGuy »

Jayne wrote:So I finally went for a brand new mighty Yamaha SU7! Even these at the moment are in short supply - it seems Yamaha aren't making them quick enough.

I'll let you know what the piano is like once its settled into its new home. Many thanks ... great forum :D
I love the SU7. Hard to find a better upright!

Excellent!

PGx
tripod
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Oh yes, what a piano...

Post by tripod »

I just bought an SU7 and completely agree with Jayne. I too tried the U3 (probably at the same place) and found the bass great with quite weak treble.

The SU7 has a truly exquisite tone. I can't stop playing the darn thing. Would totally recommend this to anyone.
easkay

Post by easkay »

PianoGuy wrote:
Jayne wrote:I have to say I can't fall in love with his new U3s - good bass but somewhat lacking in the treble don't you find?
If you get a good technician to set a U3 up properly, that treble comes alive! I must say I think the sound of the U series before they were fitted with the silly lid closer (ie one of about 1988 vintage) was nicer, although it may just be that they're prepping them differently at Yamaha UK these days... or maybe some of them not at all.......
I have a 1981 U1 Yamaha which I bought recently from a used dealer. My problem is that it isn't as loud as my old piano and the treble is unfortunately out of balance with the bass. I've asked my piano tuner what could be done about it and he said voicing would sort it out. It is a beautiful piano none the less and the sound is cracking, the only problem is the balance and the other thing is that the power doesn't transfer very well from the keys, is there anything I could do about that?

Any help or comments would be very much appreciated.