Impregnating hamers

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

pim

Impregnating hamers

Post by pim »

Hello,

I have a question and I hope you can help me.
Recently I bought an old piano and took it apart to clean it, and renovate it for a bit. But whilst doing this I discovered that there apeared to be some small holes in the vetl parts of the hammers(where they hit the string) this only occurs on 2 or 3 of the hammers but I really like to know (since i thought it might be evil little insects that try to eat my piano:) ) if I could impregnate them one way or another. So if anyone has experience with this or knows some info, it woule make me very happy :D

Thanks in advance!!
(oh and sorry for my bad English, i'm only Dutch :wink: )

Bye!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If you put any liquid in/on the hammers, it will make them hard and sound more like wood than felt. If there are only a few holes, whatever made them evidently didn't like the taste and left it alone, so I wouldn't worry. You could sprinkle moth powder in/on the action, as they used to do in the first half of the 20th century, but moth are much less prevalent than they used to be. The holes might have been made by someone trying to soften the nose of the hammer to make the felt a little softer. Either way, if it were mine I think I'd leave well alone!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Uw Engels is veel beter dan mijn Nederlands!

PianoKerel ;-)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Rude boy; wash your mouth out!
pim

Post by pim »

hmmz, i think i will put it back together than. and hope they are all have found a new residance:)

thank you!

oh and Pianoboy, that doesn't sound very convincing:P

bye!
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Try Lavender, Someone once told me that the moths hate it! Put some in a little bag and hang it in the piano. If it dosn't work, it will make the piano smell nice!
You can buy moths balls from some places, but they don't smell nice!