Yamaha U1 or Kawai K-3?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

learningPiano

Yamaha U1 or Kawai K-3?

Post by learningPiano »

I am from Canada and very happy to find this forum full of information. I don't know music at all and would like to get advice for purchasing a new acoustic piano. My choice is between Yamaha U1 or Kawai K-3 or Kawai KX21. Following is the detail about the price and color:
Yamaha U1: $7476 USD (Polished Ebony, made in Japan)
Kawai K-3: $7471 USD (Mahogany finish, made in Japan)
Kawai KX21: $5577 USD (Mahogany finish, made in China)
My untrained ear could not figure out any obvious difference between K-3 or KX21. Between Yamaha U1 and Kawai, I feel the sound in bass range is a little richer (or softer?) with Kawai and in treble range Yamaha seems to be a bit thinner too (I don't know if I am right).
Could any one give me detail difference between Kawai and Yamaha from QUALITY and PERFORMANCE aspects? I could afford U1 or K-3, but I am not sure if it's valuable to go from KX21 to K-3 just because it's made in Japan (the dealer thinks manufacturing location doesn't worth $1894 USD)? Also, K-3 or U1, which one I should buy?
I really appreciate your help.
stuartylad

Yamaha U1 or Kawaii K 3

Post by stuartylad »

Hi,

Just read your post with interest and in my opinion it would al come down to personal preference in sound. Really Kawaii and Yamaha are in a similar price band but it seems that the kawaii are a little more respected for their pianos (did you know they manufacture the Boston piano designed by Steinway?) I myself own a moderately large Kawaii grand and have had it for 10 years and have no intention of changing it. However, I'm an accompanist and prefer a slightly darker or less bright sound than the Yamaha can provide. The difference between Japan and China? For $1,500 dollars I'd take the risk of the cheaper option!

Hope you found my inane ramblings useful!

Regards,
Stuart
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

The KX21 (not sold in the UK) is made in China under licence from Kawai using their ABS actions. Its a good piano but not as good as the K3. The K3 is made in japan and has the Carbon action. www.kawai.co.uk will give you more info on the K3. Its a great piano, Id buy one if I wasn't a dealer! Its built using a different back and has a much deeper bass.