Budget Pianos

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Tracy

Budget Pianos

Post by Tracy »

Anyone give reviews on Kawai KX10, Yamaha C109 or Kemble Cambridge. Looking for some guidlines in buying one of the above budget pianos, but which is best, cant seem to find any decent reviews on any of these accept marketing speel.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

There is not a lot in them all, they are the same size well the Yamaha is a little smaller but the Yamaha C110 is the same size and cheaper but not as well made as the C109

If it is just Price then the Yamaha C110 is the most discounted piano if it is tone then the Kawai KX10 or the Kemble Cambridge in the 110 range the Kawai has a better bass but the Kemble treble is sweeter (tone is a very personal view) touch again not a lot in it

You will have to try a few and pick the one you like.

Tip: if you are buying form the big discounters and you are trying before you buy then take note of the serial number some times you can get the one out of the warehouse and not the one you were looking at

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
janetwilson
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by janetwilson »

Hi.. this was the price range I was looking in.

when I was trying out these pianos, I thought the Cambridge had quite a good bass.. I also liked the upper treble, but wasn't keen on the bit in between... I liked the Cambridge better than the KX10 which I thought was a bit muddy.
I thought the K15E (another cheaper Kawai) sounded a bit clearer than the KX10, but not such a good bass as the Cambridge.
There again, the Cambridge is more expensive...
(But I'm just a piano buyer not an expert and have only tried 1 or at most 2 examples of the pianos).

BUT... for the best value for money in this price range, have you considered a second hand Yamaha U1 (they were about 2,200 to 2,500 in the London piano shops I visited), which is a better quality piano. They all sound a bit different (and presumably treated differently in the past) so you would want to try them out. This is definitely the option I would have gone for if I could have fitted it round the corner in the stairs... The only disadvantage is it might sound a bit louder, though see other posts on this website for advice from the experts about how to overcome this...
Janet