Modernising music

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

lpt100
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Modernising music

Post by lpt100 »

Hi.

I'm after a few suggestions to the following problem:

I'm attempting to convince my Catholic Church to buy a electric piano (not convenient for a propper one). A Roland HP-3e which we're being given a pretty good offer for. However the price isn't the problem. The problem is the older members of the congregation and the older members of the music group not feeling a 'piano' is suitable for worship, even though the majority of new hymns are written for pianos and guitars etc. Not organs. The electric piano has 3 different organ sounds by itself but 'they' want the sounds of the old viscount keyboard, to which i suggested using midi but that jsut confused them. 'They' want to just upgrade the keyboard by spending about the same amount on a Viscount Cantorium III Keyboard.... :roll:

I feel the piano would be the better option, epspecially with its 3 extra octaves. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem?
:)
Thankyou

Loz
The pianoforte is to music what print is to poetry.
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

I have worshiped at a number of churches, both C of E & Catholic and have found different situations from the traditional pipe organs to a digital piano. Although the latter would not be my ideal, I have found a piano to work in some situations especially where the building is modern as apposed to a church building dating back several hundred years.

I think you'd be better to go for a new electric piano rather than have the existing keyboard repaired as is the case with electronic equipment, thry never last as long when they've been repaired you'd get better value for money buying a new one. Best of luck.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner