Kemble Minx restoration project

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

EllaBella

Kemble Minx restoration project

Post by EllaBella »

Seem to have lost my post!

Just after some advice if anyone can help.

I have inherited a Kemble Minx 'mini' piano.

It's a lovely looking thing but hasn't been tuned for who know's how long and has a lot of sticking keys.

Is is at all likely to be worth restoring?

Any advice gratefully received.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Kemble Minx restoration project

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Hi Ellabella

Welcome to the forum.

If it just needs a jolly good tuning and several keys unstuck, it wont need a restoration. Sticking keys commonly occur usually from previous damp and cold conditions, depending on how and where it was last kept. Ring a piano tuner in about 7 days after the piano has settled in.

Pianos needs to be in a moderate environment, around 16 - 20 degrees celcius, and a humidity level of around 55%. To measure humidity levels, you will need to purchase a small hygrometer dial - fairly cheap on amazon. You might find that by just leaving the piano alone for a few days, assuming normal room conditions, some of the keys will start to play again. However, if as a result of excessive (previous) moisture, some re-pinning in the mechanism may be required..... these are minor repairs, and quite common on older neglected pianos.

Regarding the tuning side.... if you dont play along with other musicians/ singers, then you can have it tuned at the pitch it has settled at - this is cheaper, however if your piano needs to be at concert pitch (A440), then a couple of visits may be needed.

Anyway, ring a tuner in a while - and they will check it over for you.

Hope that helps

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
dancarney
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by dancarney »

I tuned a Kemble Minx this afternoon. This one has been kept in ideal conditions and doesn't suffer from sluggish keys/action parts. The hammers were a little worn, but not too bad.

It was a little flat, but came up to pitch nicely and tuned as well as can be expected. Sounded pleasantly 'quaint' when finished.

As Colin suggests, get a local tuner round to see what it requires. I'd recommend getting it to concert pitch (if possible) even if not playing with other people/instruments; today's Minx was flattest in the low bass and bringing it up to pitch improved the tone of the strings.

Let us know how you get on.
Dan Carney BMus(Hons) DipABRSM

Junior Piano Technician
EllaBella

Post by EllaBella »

That's really helpful thanks you.

I play a little but in all honesty I know nothing about the workings at all so feared it would be a really big job.

Are they worth anything at all does anyone know?

I don't really want to sell but also don't really have room for it and would like it to go to someone who will really play and enjoy it as my grandparents did.

Have tried to google (which is how I found this site) but couldn't find an average, they varied wildly.

Very much appreciate the answers, so glad to hear it's not a lost cause.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

All Kemble Minx pianos are different, even if new - do two are alike. The words 'are they worth anything' doesnt come into the equation..... the value of your piano greatly depends on its own personal looks, how it plays, and if it has been regularly maintained or not - so you can't compare the company name (which Kemble as a rule are a reputable name) - to your own inherited piano. Many pianos have a life expectancy of around 30 years - over that, its a bonus.

Best advice would be to ring around three different piano shops (or piano tuners that buy/sell), and ask them to come out and make you an offer - then accept the best offer, but as its not working, I wouldnt build your hopes up and expect offers around the region of £50.... cash in hand, piano removed within 10 mins - job done.

Alternatively try it on Ebay - no reserve - start at £40.... and see what happens. Make sure you state its not working properly and has sticking keys. Sometimes even saying "spares & repairs" attracts interest than trying to sell something that isn't.

In reasonably good condition, in previous auctions they have fetched anything from £200 - £600 depending on condition (thats 'they' pianos - not yours) .... however selling one that doesnt work - then best thing is to let the bidders do the talking, and it will find its own value when the hammer goes down - you might get about £100 for it, depending on interest/ bidding impulse/ area you life in/ how good & well worded
the advert is/ good clear photos etc etc.

You should also state how many octaves it has (or how many keys), approx. condition, serial number (inside piano near tuning pins) - and needs tuning. If ebay - dont forget to say "buyer collects".
AA Piano Tuners UK

EllaBella

Post by EllaBella »

Thank you, all advice greatly received.

On balance it seems better to sell.

It's sad because my Grandparents loved it and saved so hard to buy it (bought it new in 1948), it was played lovingly, if with little actual skill (!), every day.

Not much point in clinging on to it though, it's more sentimental value than anything I suppose.

It seems to encapsulate them if that makes any sense. Still, I'm quite sure they'd point out the ridiculousness in that statement if they could hear me !

I do appreciate everyone who took the time to give such detailed and genuine posts.

Many Thanks.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

Even though a piano is a long term investment, there will always be a point when you have to weigh up the sentimental value versus the financial investment required to keep it going. Mind you, I saw a square grand on the Antiques Roadshow recently (about 200+ years old) which had been converted to a writing desk. They valued it at about 10 times of would you would get for it as an old, dilapidated piano.
danhyman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by danhyman »

Hi - I have one of these pianos - can anyone please tell me how I would date the piano from the serial number? thanks :)
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

You can either let us know the serial number (with a photo of it if possible) for a free dating of your piano - a photo of the piano itself would be helpful....

OR.... you can contact Pierce Piano Atlas in New Mexico, however they require a fee before any research is done..... the fee is non-returnable, even if it can not be dated - so maybe best to try us first.

Most serial numbers are genuine, however, depending on the number of factories, some are misleading/ incorrect or just not available. Kemble Minx are not itemised separately in my book (just a model of Kemble), it just comes under "Kemble Piano Group" - and the dates/ serial numbers cover from 1930 - 1996. That will be a 5 or 6 digit serial number.

Hope that helps..
AA Piano Tuners UK

danhyman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by danhyman »

Great thanks
Serial number
1 10 21321
Embossed WH Barnes Ltd 425 - 427 Oxford Street W1
I guess I should have Googled them in the first place but anyway anything you can tell me would be great Thanks again Dan
danhyman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by danhyman »

Hi

Pictures attached, many thanks for your help.
Attachments
2012-09-06_23-15-20_HDR.jpg
2012-09-06_23-14-55_HDR.jpg
danhyman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by danhyman »

and one more :)
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Hi Dan
The numbers seem too early for this style of piano, and I cant make out where you took the photo of the numbers? The serial number should be 5 digits only as I suggested - not other numbers added/ joined on, nor spaces between them. If you remove everything from the top of the piano, open the top lid right back, near the tuning pins, it may be there.

This looks 1940 - 1950's with rounded legs, and with it being so short, I suspect it has a 'drop action' inside.... but I cant say unless you open the top lid, then remove the front panel - then a photo of the mechanism.

The numbers showing look like a cabinet or stock number for the "cabinet parts" - this set of numbers is sometimes duplicated many times on the wood work - but the serial number will either be on the cast iron frame, or possibly the soundboard (remove the mechanism to see it) - or it may not have a number inside.

May need inspecting by a piano tuner to be certain.
AA Piano Tuners UK

danhyman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by danhyman »

Hi - the number says 92858

Here are the inside pictures.

Very grateful, thanks,

Dan
Attachments
2012-09-08 12.33.50.jpg
2012-09-08 12.32.25.jpg
danhyman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by danhyman »

By the way I saw a thread about Markson pianos in Oxford Street saying they closed down in the '30s which may tell us something...
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Yep.... thats the serial number behind the bass strings - well done!

The number suggests the year 1954, so I wasn't too far out with my estimate.

If you can partly lift up the left hand key (bottom A) - the date may be stamped on the side of the key. Remove the wooden rail first behind the black keys. Just be careful not to lift the key right out, or you may damage a flange connected to those rods. Keep the key fairly level, and try not to move the back of the key too much.

Nice compact pianos they are, and should tune up fine.... but the mechanism is the dreaded "drop action" - so it is partly "submerged" below the keys - if you remove the lower panel, you will see the rest of the mechanism. When working ok.... they are fine, but if they develop a fault (ie re-pinning/ string replacement), they are a pain in the neck to remove because of all the lift rods at the front. A normal 10 min job on a standard piano action turns out to be about 40 mins on these. Common problem on these pianos is poor regulation and lost motion. Ask your tuner about that.

It is likely this piano has passed through many dealers/ owners/ retailers since new - the name on the side would probably be a local music store where the piano was sold.... but regrettably there are never any records of ownership/ servicing/ tuning & repairs unless the previous owner has kept all receipts & invoices. Its a bit like having a sticker on your rear car windscreen "John's Auto Cars" .... forget it, its just a garage name - doesnt mean much, just putting their name on the piano as an advert!
AA Piano Tuners UK

danhyman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by danhyman »

Great thank you so much. It is really nice having a bit more info on it; I have had it since I was little :D