Heintzman's Use of Ivory

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

hebemac

Heintzman's Use of Ivory

Post by hebemac »

Hello, Does anyone know when Heintzman stopped using ivory for keytops on its grand pianos? I've just purchased a 1966, 6' grand for my church that is currently residing in Chicago...I'm in Ottawa, Ontario...so we bought it sight unseen because the price was amazing and the tech down there said it was a good piano and even if everything needs to be fixed or replaced, for the price it was still a deal. However, the posting said it has ivory keys and the pictures don't look like ivory...too white and too perfect...so we have to get it over the boarder with the international ivory ban issue and I'm wondering if it may, in fact, have plastic keytops...Any thoughts out there? Thanks,
Bill Kibby

Ivory

Post by Bill Kibby »

No idea, but you cannot tell ivory from plastic by the date. The usual clue is the join in the ivory, which is level with the fronts of the sharps, but even this is not a guarantee. A grain pattern may indicate ivory, but this can be faked.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

Ivory

Post by Bill Kibby »

I don't know about USA & Canada, but I'm told that the export / import licenses may not be necessary in pianos of a certain age. Otherwise, you need a separate license from each country, and that can take months.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
vernon

Post by vernon »

If it is not clear from the details already given( ie can you see the join?) Some ivory keys were in one piece.
However, to test, heat a pin red hot and apply it to the " ivory" at the back of the key where it will be hidden under the namesboard.You'll soon see and smell if they are plastic !
vernon