Pedals

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Pedals

Post by andyaeola »

Who invented the upright soft pedal?
Who invented the upright celeste/practice pedal?

A
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

I've just stumbled on two pianos with a practice pedal, both English; one a Dimoline from the 1910s with a celeste operated by a celluloid capped organ-stop affair above the bass keyblock, and a '30s Berry, c/w electric lights, swivel-out ashtrays and a celeste operated by a chrome and Bakelite switch marked 'Normal' and 'Practice'.

Whoever invented the celeste sure wasn't Japanese.
Bill Kibby

Pedals

Post by Bill Kibby »

There are different types of soft pedals, and whether it is upright or not is not always entirely relevant. Which type are you asking about? The celeste or modulator was already in use way back in the 1700s, before there were proper upright pianos. Practice stops like the ones Dimoline & Berry used were common enough in London pianos of the late 1800s, but the basic mechanism was the same as the pedals.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by andyaeola »

Ok, the reason I asked is because on one of the Qi humourous quiz programmes hosted by Stephen Fry, pianos were mentioned twice:

The first time was when John Sessions informed us that in pidgin-english piano is:
"Old man at home, hit'im in the white teeth he laughs, hit 'im in the black teeth he cries."
Amusing, but Google results say this is a myth.

Secondly...
"The Scots invented (there followed a long list by Mr Fry including) piano pedals"!

Google says Cristofori (Italian)invented the soft pedal(presumably the una corda), Silbermann (German) invented the damper, Boiselett (French)invented the sostenuto.
Which leaves me curious about the upright soft and the celeste. Was a Scot involved?

Andy
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

John Broadwood is credited with the fitment of the sustain pedal as standard equipment on the piano.

He was as Scottish as Haggis, Glenmorangie and deep fried Mars bars.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Looking in my notes

John Joseph Merlin (1735-1804) came to England in 1760. He introduced the "una corda" pedal which moved the action to one side, hitting only two strings instead of three, making the piano quieter. In 1774 he took out patent number 1081 for a combination harpsichord-cum-piano, which he called his "Compound Harpsichord."

Broadwood introduced a sustaining pedal and is credited with its invention. However, there is a Backers Grand of 1772 in the Russell Museum, Edinburgh with two pedals, one on each front leg pointing inwards. The right is a sustaining pedal, the left an una corda, so we may conclude that Americus Backers was the first to use the sustaining pedal and the una corda. Its number is 29.

Erard made a grand for Napoleon, which had a Viennese action and five pedals.

Claude Montal one of the first blind piano tuners. He exhibited the sostenuto pedal, which Steinway bought. A monograph written by Montal in Paris in 1856, entitled "L'Art d'accorder soi-meme son piano," described his invention.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Bill Kibby

Pedals

Post by Bill Kibby »

Google doesn't tell you anything, it directs you to various websites, which often spout at length about things they nothing about. I don't think Merlin's una corda was the first, or even a pedal. Cristofori included dampers in the original pianos, and previously in the Arpicembalo, before Silbermann. However, Cristofori did not, as I recall, have pedals at all. (No doubt someone will correct me!) The Scotsman Broadwood bears the guilt of calling the pedals "Piano" & "Forte", and must therefore take responsibility for the fact that so many people call it a LOUD pedal! It's also important to realise that although someone patents an idea, or invents it, or introduces it into their pianos, it doesn't always mean they were the first.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pedals

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Bill Kibby wrote: However, Cristofori did not, as I recall, have pedals at all.
Knee stops

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by andyaeola »

Thanks for the replies. It would appear that Qi was stretching the truth but still accurate.

Andy