Crane & Sons piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

As far as I am aware Crains had their pianos made for them by other manufactures. The were a large retailer in Liverpool and London. How do you
know it was made in 1893 are the keys dated. Form about c1930s Kembles made them. Bill may have more info on them

There is one for sale on UKPP for &300.00 by a private seller with a photo.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Take for a PM =====>
I am not certin that the craine & sons upright was made in 1893 but there was a reciept from someone that tuned it in 1995 and the reciept said that
the piano was built in "1893" There is also a serial #39748.
======>

The first key in the bass some times is dated maybe that is what the tuner found it would be interesting if there was a key dated Dates we know of are
45378 c1910
9816 c1895

that would put your piano around c1908 or thereabouts

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Bill Kibby

Crane

Post by Bill Kibby »

Crane & Sons were unable to help me with information some years ago, but I have some fragmentary information. As Barrie said, the pianos seem to have been made by several factories, so numbers don't help, unless the piano's action has a make and number. I can compile a report from photos.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

Crane & Sons piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

I would be interested to know if there is any real evidence of the date. Is it marked inside the piano, or is there some piece of original paperwork that went with the piano?
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info