John Broadwood and Sons Piano.

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

xpertz

John Broadwood and Sons Piano.

Post by xpertz »

Hi all,

I currently have a John Broadwood and Sons upright piano, with serial 116962 it dates back to around 1915.

it's current condition is excellent and I was wondering if anyone would be able to enlighten me with a value of it? Judging on it being in really, really good condition.

Much appreciated :)
Bill Kibby

Re: John Broadwood and Sons Piano.

Post by Bill Kibby »

Nobody can guess the value or condition of a piano without tuning it. We are not licensed valuers, and it would be illegal for this forum to provide written (or typed) valuations. We cannot accept legal responsibility for anyone else stating values here, so they will be removed.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
xpertz

Post by xpertz »

I realize that. I was more going along the lines of, a friend telling another friend roughly how much it could potentially be worth, if it was "tuned" and in great condition. I'm not looking for an actual Value report.

Ie, if I had an iPhone 4 second hand but in good condition i would say it would be worth between $300 - $500.

Thanks anyway :)
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Ask your tuner.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

xpertz wrote:I realize that. I was more going along the lines of, a friend telling another friend roughly how much it could potentially be worth, if it was "tuned" and in great condition. I'm not looking for an actual Value report.

Ie, if I had an iPhone 4 second hand but in good condition i would say it would be worth between $300 - $500.

Thanks anyway :)
Firstly, are you sure it can be tuned? If the pin-block is in poor condition the chances are it will not retain a tune, which for a musical instrument could render it almost useless. If it can be adequately tuned and retain it (not necessarily at concert pitch-which would be expecting a little too much) and advertised as such, it may attract some interest.
Try the auction houses, especially on-line (Ebay etc) to get an idea of recent values.
A reasonably good looking Broadwood & Son grand piano in playable condition recently auctioned on-line for just over 100 pounds. There is an upright Broadwood & Son also currently on auction and struggling to make 99p so that may be worth watching.

Note: Apple products being relatively recent and particularly fashionable are always in demand, but whether they still will be in a hundred years time is anyone's guess. :wink:
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

A piano that is very nearly 100 years old may look good from the outside - but I doubt it is in "great" condition internally - trust me!. All pianos deteriorate - esp. after about 40 years onwards - let alone a century later.
Has the piano been fully restored recently? (mechanism etc) If so, it will be worth more than its face value - but depends on the level of restoration.

If not, there will be alot of wear on the hammers, levers & dampers - not to mention the condition of the strings/ wrest pins/ bridges/ pin block etc.

I guess you may be overseas? .... if so, prices are different here in UK, so you will need to contact a local tuner. Its like giving the value of a piece of jewellery, or a plate - need to be inspected for condition/ wear & tear - then compared to another similar object for a valuation. There are no set values for pianos - they vary greatly.

Hope that helps....
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen