Bishop & Sons piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

sher

Bishop & Sons piano

Post by sher »

Hi, i was given a piano for free today. was wondering its age. It has Bishop & Sons London on the inside of the key lid. & Paterson & Sons Edinburgh & Glasgow above the keys. The wood has a burl finish with wood inlay of birds & flowers on the face. The serial # is 42440. Does anybody have any info? thanx
Bill Kibby

Bishop & Sons

Post by Bill Kibby »

If it's E. Bishop & Sons, and not "Ltd.", it would probably be from the 1880s or 1890s. If it's R.C. Bishop & Son, that is more likely to be in the first half of the 1900s. No serial number dates are available. Paterson & Sons suggests 1851-1885 if that is exactly how the name is phrased, it changed several times.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
sher

Bishop & Sons

Post by sher »

I cannot seem to find any info on Bisop& Sons on the net.Were they a small manufacturing co.?
I'm having someone next week to come out & see if it is tuneable? My Fingers are crossed. Although I haven't played the piano since I was a child, I'm dying to play!
The Upper & lower keys Seem to be in better tune than the middle keys. I still tinkle on it though.
The piano movers said it sounds like the harp is toast.
About how much would it cost to have it fixed if that is the case? Or can it be fixed?
Bill Kibby

Bishop & Sons piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

As it says in the item on names above, the vast majority of piano names are not listed on the net, but I can supply a booklet on the Bishop firms for six pounds.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
sher

Bishop & Sons

Post by sher »

I sent you photos :D