Are Petrof any good?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Sweep

Are Petrof any good?

Post by Sweep »

Dear All,

I am having a massive dilema at the moment and would appreciate some help. I am looking to buy an upright and thought my budget would be around &4000. However, when I was in a piano shop today I noticed a new Petrof 131 (fitted with German Renner action) in black for &5000 reduced from &8500+ at which point Wendy, my partner, said "it looks nice you can have it." Great I thought. The bass was awesome, much better to my ear than a 15 year old Bluthner sited next to it, the treble was crisp without harshness I dislike about Yamahas. Now, I ran this past another piano dealer and his comments threw a spanner in the works:
1)Petrof are not much good
2)Stay well Clear
3)You have got a great opportunity to get an excellent piano (e.g. Irmsher, Yamaha U1/U3)or make a big mistake
4)Petrof's are deliberatley overpriced to allow massive discounting
5)Resale value is very low.
6)The mellow tone is manufactured by deliberatley manipulating the hammers and this would not last.

Now the punch line for me is that I have been playing for only 18months, I have past my grade 1 and have just sat my grade 2, my ability to accuratley assess a good piano (touch, sound, feel, etc) from a mediocre piano are seriously limited and I need good, honest advise. The only thing I do know is that I find Yamahas too harsh for my taste. The Petof is held for me until Monday.

Many thanks ...Sweep
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Are Petrof any good?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Sweep wrote:Dear All,

I am having a massive dilema at the moment and would appreciate some help. I am looking to buy an upright and thought my budget would be around &4000. However, when I was in a piano shop today I noticed a new Petrof 131 (fitted with German Renner action) in black for &5000 reduced from &8500+ at which point Wendy, my partner, said "it looks nice you can have it." Great I thought. The bass was awesome, much better to my ear than a 15 year old Bluthner sited next to it, the treble was crisp without harshness I dislike about Yamahas. Now, I ran this past another piano dealer and his comments threw a spanner in the works:
1)Petrof are not much good
They are well made pianos with a softer tone than a Yamaha
Sweep wrote: 2)Stay well Clear
3)You have got a great opportunity to get an excellent piano (e.g. Irmsher, Yamaha U1/U3)or make a big mistake
I take it he use to be a second hand car sales man all pianos hold their value well know makes do hold their value better but I can remember when the same and worse was said about Yamaha back in the 70’s holding their value

Sweep wrote: 4)Petrof's are deliberatley overpriced to allow massive discounting
So are Yamahas quite a few dealers knock off 35% and still make a profit.
Sweep wrote: 5)Resale value is very low.
see above
Sweep wrote: 6)The mellow tone is manufactured by deliberatley manipulating the hammers and this would not last.

Now this has got to be a classic all manufactures alter the hammers to get the tone they are looking for in there pianos Yamaha is a harsh tone compared to most European makes. All pianos tone will alter in time because the hammers will compact and you get groves in the hammers it is all-relative to how the piano was toned in the first place the Yamaha will get a lot brighter over time.

Sweep wrote: Now the punch line for me is that I have been playing for only 18months, I have past my grade 1 and have just sat my grade 2, my ability to accuratley assess a good piano (touch, sound, feel, etc) from a mediocre piano are seriously limited and I need good, honest advise. The only thing I do know is that I find Yamahas too harsh for my taste. The Petof is held for me until Monday.

Many thanks ...Sweep
Go with your feelings if your wife like the look and you like the tone and the price is right then go for it

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page