Keys slow to return. Eureka!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

planete
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Keys slow to return. Eureka!

Post by planete »

I admit I am usually happy to just 'lurk' on this site but I must share this with you all as it may help somebody somewhere. Some of you may remember how I bought a Kemble 121 a couple of years ago. I loved it in the showroom, got it home and fell out of love with it. The sound seemed different, especially in the C below middle C and the notes below. I had it checked, tuned regularly. No difference. Resigned myself to making my touch lighter on these notes so that they did not offend my ear so much!

A few weeks ago, the same notes started coming back up slowly. I checked the hygrometer, blamed the dampness (60/70). Turned the heating on. No improvement. Started googling the problem. One site advised opening the lid and watching the hammers. I did that last night and spotted the problem straight away. The middle pedal activates a bar with a 'fringe' that hangs down (you can tell I am technically minded!). Even with the pedal inactive the very tops of the hammers of the offending notes were slightly touching this fringe and it was enough to slow down their return. I have now loosely tied up the fringe at intervals with bits of string to keep it out of the way. The difference in the action and the sound is amazing. I cannot tell you how happy I am with my piano now!

Probably silly problem and silly solution, I know. But a red letter day for me!
Gill the Piano

Re: Keys slow to return. Eureka!

Post by Gill the Piano »

If you take the panel off in front of your knees, you can make an adjustment at the back of the pedal which will raise or lower the 'fringe' you speak of. More elegant solution than a bit of string! :)
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

planete wrote:. The sound seemed different, especially in the C below middle C and the notes below. I had it checked, tuned regularly.

planete wrote:.
Even with the pedal inactive the very tops of the hammers of the offending notes were slightly touching this fringe and it was enough to slow down their return. I have now loosely tied up the fringe at intervals with bits of string to keep it out of the way. The difference in the action and the sound is amazing. I cannot tell you how happy I am with my piano now!

Probably silly problem and silly solution, I know. But a red letter day for me!

And why did your tuner not spot that the practise peddle was not clearing the hammers when not in use its a common fault with the Yam practise peddle mechanism if not put back in correct.

I can under stand missing it if he/she was in a hurry, but as you had complained about the tone that should have been spotted

I would ask them to look at it the next time they come

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
vernon

Post by vernon »

Wouldn't ask them to come again.

I met a nice vicar with a nice Bechstein 1930s grand about five years back who was selling. He had had it tuned regularly but felt the middle was rather unresposive'
When I removed the rubber gang mute that had obviously been there for years, the response improved immeasurably
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
planete
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by planete »

Thanks for the tip, Gill. I was slightly embarrassed writing about the bits of string!
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

vernon wrote:When I removed the rubber gang mute that had obviously been there for years, the response improved immeasurably
Oops!!

My U3s often need the practise pedal adjusting from time to time.
Customers can panic and think that there is a problem with the action but a quick turn and a half of the thumbscrew above the pedals and it's all smiles again :)
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
ggglhf

Post by ggglhf »

Great post, good job there, I love it!