Zeitter and Winkelmann Braunschweig (Brunswick)

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

vernon

Zeitter and Winkelmann Braunschweig (Brunswick)

Post by vernon »

Zeitter and Winkelmann about 1900

I'm doing a very nice piano(above)
On the fall,inlaid in the original name plate it says;

" Zeitter and Winkelmann"( in Deutsche Buchstaben ,ie-German lettering)
"Braunschweig" (in Roman letters)
and also "System Steinway Newyork" (sic) in Roman lettering

what's the "Steinway" bit all about?

bw
Vernon
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Bill Kibby

Re: Zeitter & Winkelmann Braunschweig

Post by Bill Kibby »

Dunno Vernon, but the same phrase appears on several different makes, so it is probably an acknowledgement to the type of action or something The name is Zeitter, not Zeittner.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Zeitter & Winkelmann Braunschweig(Brunswick)

Post by Pianomate »

Vernon, does it have the fancy cast pierced Winklemann name plaque/motif attached to the frame at the top LHS?
vernon

Re: Zeitter and Winkelmann Braunschweig (Brunswick)

Post by vernon »

nope.
It's just a very solid one piece iron frame,very plain, with unbushed wrest pins. It looks about 1890-ish Didn't take time to dismantle in search of a number.
Very nice old joanna, good tone , concert pitch and will last another 100 years.
Made my day.
My shipping order was to repair the split tray desk.
Customer is a DIY expert but couldn't access 1/4 " 4 screws!
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
wilhorwood
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: Zeitter and Winkelmann Braunschweig (Brunswick)

Post by wilhorwood »

It has been a long time since anybody replied to this. Do you still have the piano?
My grandfather was the last family owner of the Zeitter & Winkelmann piano company. I have been researching their old company so that I can tell the kids about it. What I understand is that the company had quite a few patents and were pioneers in developing piano mechanisms and cross-stringed metal frames. Their name on the keyboard lid often included mention of their patented mechanism. Then from about 1877 they started using "System Steinway Newyork, Zeitter & Winkelmann, Braunschweig" on the lids, with the System Steinway Newyork (yes spelled like that) and Braunschweig in a Roman Font and Zeitter and Winkelmann in a leaning Copperplate style. Then from about 1885 this was modified to read "System Steinway New York, Zeitter & Winkelmann, Hof Pianoforte-Fabrik, Braunschweig" with Zeitter & Winkelmann now in a gothic script on a curve, System Steinway New York curved over this, and the rest in a narrow Roman font underneath. They stopped using any mention of system Steinway from about 1890, but I have read that subsequent Z&W pianos have the exact same playing action as a Steinway. Do you have any photos of the piano?