Spencer 45144

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

marlee

Spencer 45144

Post by marlee »

I am looking for the likely age and possible insurance value of my John Spencer piano serial number 45144. I am also interested in more information on the company. Your history page shows the company closing in 1886 yet they seem to have won prizes in 1888 (Melburne) and 1890 (Edinburgh).
Thank you.
Marlee[/list][/list][/code][/quote][/u][/i][/b]
Bill Kibby

Spencer

Post by Bill Kibby »

No, they certainly didn't close in 1886, they only began in 1883. The number suggests 1906, and although these early numbers are not too precise, it won't be far out. Obviously the medals show that it was after 1890, does it mention the Princess of Wales? If the action has a Malcom label on the rear of the hammer rail, its number can be dated...
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Age, insurance value of John Spencer 45144

Post by Barrie Heaton »

[quote="marlee"]possible insurance value of my John Spencer piano quote]

For insurance purposes in the UK we have what is called "new for old" and in that case you would be looking at 2,000 to 3,000 depending on the retail out let for a piano of similar quality. A second-hand one of the same age, in good working order and up to pitch you would pay about 400 to 900 pounds in the North of England again depending on the retail outlet, the above fingers are only useful for the UK

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Bill Kibby

Spencer

Post by Bill Kibby »

Yes, but it's interesting that in 41 years, I have never been asked for an insurance value for a piano, except from the USA!
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I get ask quite a lot to provide a letter of valuation for insurance. However, I do ask all my new clients do they have it named on their insurance.

The reason being I have a client who had a very bad fire, she had a Boston but on her policy it stated that any item over the value of 1200 must be named, she did not, so instead of her getting a new Boston she only got 1200 pounds now on my new for old it say that any item over 1500 should be named and on some policies like my sisters you are coved up the amount of the policy, so it pays to ask and when they ask quite a few insurance company’s requests valuation for insurance

Are we missing out on all them 25 pounds valuations and piano owners have you inquired to see if your piano is coved – if you live in the UK and most have new for old and you have an old Junker it still should be named because of its replaceable value that count

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Bill Kibby

Spencer

Post by Bill Kibby »

What 25-pound valuations?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

That is what I charge for doing a valuation letter

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
marlee

Post by marlee »

Bill and Barrie - I am enjoying reading your "conversation" and am glad my question opened a topic (insurance) which may be relevent for some of your other readers.
And I LOVE your site. Since I found it I get into it almost every day and gradually am learning things I should have known years ago.
By the way, I saw in the list of piano makers in 1840 two Percivals. That was my maiden name so I have asked my uncle to see if there is any sign of piano makers in our family tree - my grandfather was from Liverpool. Bill, if I find out anything I will forward it to you for your continuing research.
Marlee