Boyd upright piano - help!

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

fonzydabear

Boyd upright piano - help!

Post by fonzydabear »

hi everyone, i do house removal clearences and recently i was given a boyd upright piano, i dont know much about it because i havent seen it much and its in storage, it came with a yellowy sheet saying stuff like "piano Bx style by boyd ltd." and "NO 44646", it's black, that's pretty much all i know other than it has a written number saying 1907 or 1902 hard to tell but i think that means it's date of creation, please if anyone can give me any sort of background information or a link to a dealers site, i'd greatly appreciate it. HELP!!!! :)
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Boyd upright piano - help!

Post by sussexpianos »

The small Boyd-London pianos from the 60's+ are nice pianos and mostly are 6 octave. The one you have sounds like a very old striaghtstrung overdamper which might need to be retired. I think they stopped making in the early 80's. That's all the info you might get most factories didn't keep info much. I would get a tuner round to tune it and gauge its condition.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
Peter Smith Pianos
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Peter Smith Pianos »

Do you have photos you can post,mostly likely an old piano which has had case modernised ,as for condition only your local reputable tuner can give an indication of value.
Yamaha and Kawai Main Dealers.Nationwide delivery.Contact 0141 887 6160 www.petersmithpianos.co.uk
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

It is unlikely that you will find the year of manufacture written in that form, it's probably just a number, or the date of an exhibition medal received by the makers before the piano was made. It's fascinating how much guesswork people are offering when all we know is the name! We don't know it is modernised, we don't know any of these things. Boyds made thousands of different kinds of pianos over a long period, some of them good, some BAD. We have nothing here to tell us anything. As for vertical overdampers, they were abandoned in the fifties.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info