Question on piano forte keyboard

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

kbcuz

Question on piano forte keyboard

Post by kbcuz »

In a college lecture, I learned that piano forte keyboards had black keys instead of white, as they now are on modern pianos. Also, the keys on a piano forte that were white are now black on a modern piano. I would like to know WHY the color of the keys was switched. Does anyone know?
Bill Kibby

Keyboard colours

Post by Bill Kibby »

In playing a keyboard instrument, the important thing is the shape, position and size of the keys, not their colour, but although there have been experiments such as green sharps, early pianos, like harpsichords, clavichords and organs of the period, had dark wood keys, such as ebony, so when the keyboard began to evolve sharps and flats, these were added in a contrasting colour. Materials have changed, contrasts were often less dramatic, and there was no one sudden moment when everyone changed, it was just a gradually leaning towards the fashion or preference for lighter naturals in pianos and organs, as opposed to the traditional colours of harpsichord and clavichord keys which continue to be made today.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
kbcuz

Keyboard Colours

Post by kbcuz »

This was very helpful. Thank you.