Baby Grand Waldstein Vs Schumann

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Georgina10
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Baby Grand Waldstein Vs Schumann

Post by Georgina10 »

I am planning to buy a replacement baby grand for my daughter, 11 yrs old and Grade 1.

Does anyone have any relevant knowledge/experience with respect to the comparative merits of the Waldstein and Schumann baby grands?

Many thanks.
Please could somebody give me advice on piano verses the keyboard, for my 10 year old daughter to practise the piano. She has just passed her prep test. I understand you can buy keyboards that are touch sensitive and have weighted keys are these any good?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You'd be better off using the money to buy a good upright than a baby grand. Short fat strings = short fat sound. You'll get a decent upright - a really good second-hand one or a decent new one - for the same money with far better tone than a baby grand, unless your dealer is offering you a big discount. Also, when your daughter leaves home, she'll be able to house an upright in her teeny weeny flat, but a grand...? :shock:
mdw
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by mdw »

Gill the Piano wrote:You'd be better off using the money to buy a good upright than a baby grand.
Yep ..........Almost anything less than 5.5-6 foot and you are paying thousands extra for a nice place to put your pictures. Go for the huge upright, buy a nice shelf instead and pocket the wedge. :lol:
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by A440 »

At 152cm the Schumann isn't really a baby grand and is certainly much larger than any upright available (you can get 133cm). There are also advantages to a grand over an upright (repetition, feel, sostinuto pedal and of course good looks!).
A massive upright is always a good choice but in reality most people will go for a grand if the price is similar (and they have the room).
I would advise against anything smaller than a 145cm grand. A 252cm grand is generally seen as about optimum size for most family users and is by far the most popular.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The Schumann is made by Nanjing-Moutrie and the Waldstein is made by Pearl River. Not much in it really, but I'd swing toward the Waldstein.

Apart from broadly agreeing with the others posting here that a nice tall upright would be a far better instrument, and if not a tall one you could almost afford a superb shorter one like a new Zimmermann, if you insist on buying her a small grand, the Yantai Perzinas are among the best of the Chinese cheapies. They could be badged as Eavestaff, Carl Ebel, Perzina, Dale,Forty or Sangler amongst others.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

This is an interesting page info bumf look at the last entry SENTEINWAY” play on words or what

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Georgina10
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Georgina10 »

Thank you for your advice. I have still bought a baby grand because it is in our lounge and I really don't like the look of the uprights (I know you piano experts will sigh). However I have taken on board your answer about makes and bought a Bluthner (I know, way over original budget) but you get what you pay for and I think if we do ever need to sell it, it will be much easier. Many Thanks.
Please could somebody give me advice on piano verses the keyboard, for my 10 year old daughter to practise the piano. She has just passed her prep test. I understand you can buy keyboards that are touch sensitive and have weighted keys are these any good?