ESTONIA 190 - 6'3" GRAND

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Rev Ed

ESTONIA 190 - 6'3" GRAND

Post by Rev Ed »

Greetings,

My wife and I are interested in purchasing a new Estonia 190 Grand Piano and would like to know if anyone is familiar with these pianos? Please let us know about your positive and/or negative experiences with the Estonia 190 - 6'3" Grand Piano.

We live in the USA and are purchasing from a Master Tech/Dealer who voices these pianos to have a very sweet singing quality. This is our first piano. I have twin 6 year olds who have been studying piano for the last 2 years. I have been studying (Romantic Epoch) seriously for the last year. We all attend a Music Conservatory/School and LOVE piano. Our teachers told us it was time for a proper piano. Currently we have been playing an old Kurzweil Digital Keyboard at home. It is not the same. Any input on the Estonia would be much welcomed.

Regards,

Ed
Rev Ed

Post by Rev Ed »

Anyone?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

myself I have no experience's with new Estonia pianos only the old ones and they were not very good, but like most of the Eastern block pianos they have moved on. They don't sell well in the UK you may get a better response from one of the US piano forums try piano world.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The dealer network in the UK is virtually non existent, so it's unlikely that many tuners here have had much experience of them. As a rule, items of any description from the former USSR have a scant following here. Our relatively apathetic political views may have something to do with this since we appear not to take much notice of these products unless they've improved significantly and are marketed well.

In the US, now that the 'evil old USSR' has been consigned to History, there's much more interest in products from those countries. It may be a national pride thing since the US is full of people with wrongly pronounced names like Dabrowskawitz (US pron. Dabrow-ski-witch) Budweiser (US pron. Bud-wiser) and Sikorsky (US pron. Helicopter) whose ancestors are from those areas, or possibly because now those nasty old Communists have gone, it's OK to be enthusiastic about them.

Either way, you'll have to search long and hard in the UK to find any first hand knowledge of a new Estonia. The USSR built ones were fairly horrible, but the 9' one had more than a hint of Steinway D about it, and could be made to work well. I have a vague recollection that Richard Dain (erstwhile of Bösendorfer, now of Phoenix-Steingraeber-Stuart fame) used to have one. They were also available under another brand name, Otto Bach I think. Current ones as Barrie says seem to have a good reputation amongst those who've tried them.

As always, find a dealer that you trust with a good reputation, and try the actual piano that you intend to buy, not just a similar one. If you do I'm sure you won't go too far wrong.
andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by andyaeola »

Try asking the owner-enthusiasts here:

http://www.estoniaworld.com/index.php

Andy
drg2217
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by drg2217 »

On the Pianoworld forums you will find considerable enthusiasm for Estonia pianos. This recent thread is typical:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultim ... 19700.html